Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When turning L on a 2 lane road, impatient cagers pass me on the R almost hitting me sometimes.

Do you take a position in the lane where they can not squeeze by or just deal with them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you take a position in the lane where they can not squeeze
Yes, this has worked for me in preventing those behind me from trying to squeeze through.

I stay toward the center of the lane away from the center line. In the event something happens, I am less easily driven into oncoming traffic, and I have a few feet of wiggle room should I need it. It probably also helps to visually separate me from oncoming traffic for those cagers that have a hard time seeing motorcycles..

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
If no traffic is coming the other way, I'll move into the left lane to make the turn...tends to be common courtesy in the rural midwest. If there is traffic, then I tend to park it in the middle, and give the guys behind me plenty of warning.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It is illegal for cars to lane split. It is not allowed in many of the states for motorcycles to. They are breaking the law and would be ticketed if a policeman was there to witness.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I block em! who knows how close they are going to come to you, trying to sneak by, same goes on a two way street where one lane is partially blocked by cars and my lane is open I stay over to the left and make them wait till I am pass them.Then they can go around the park cars. Any way while they are waiting for me they can chat on there cell.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
There are times when it might be better to continue on until you can find another place to make a left turn without having to wait. Then head back and make a right turn. Most of the roads are so narrow around here and have no shoulder, so the cagers can't pass on the right. I have flashing brake lights, lots of tail lights, and still use hand signals at times. I'm contemplating wearing a fluorescent vest. The bigger and wider the bike the better.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
The bigger and wider the bike the better.
im your reciprocal. smiley face. haha.

point is, a car will always win. people are always gonna drive stupid and act like they dont se ya. and half the time, they dont. they might not always be acting like a blatant McAhole. you gotta ride like everyone is out to kill you. paranoid. lets just all be careful out there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well over here in Europe, as some of you will know, the roads aren't as wide as in the USA.
However, when I'm out riding, I always take the middle of the lane, if they want to overtake me they can.
However, when turning L, I always take the right hand side of the lane, and yet still indicating I'm going left.
If I'm turning right, I'll take the left hand side of that lane, and still indicate to turn right.

Its purely for the fact that so many roads are narrow and you need sometimes the space to turn the bike into the center of the lane you are going into to. ( I hope that makes sense !!!!)

Its not illegal by the way !!

But you still get cagers that come along side you when turning into the same direction, purely to be the first off the mark. These numbnuts just don't understand what we have to deal with sometimes.........

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I was always taught to take the centre position to claim ownership of the road and to prevent cars squeezing down the side. Has my trainer told me you pay road tax so you are entitled to your part of the road.
In our MSC they are teaching to somewhat hog your lane, up to and including Left or right turns from the outside wheel rut. Not only for visibily's sake but also cause it's not as sharp a turn and part of the turn is completed while in that lane leaving you a bit broadside (more visible) and able to cross faster cause of the smaller turn needed.

Well over here in Europe, as some of you will know, the roads aren't as wide as in the USA.
However, when I'm out riding, I always take the middle of the lane, if they want to overtake me they can.
However, when turning L, I always take the right hand side of the lane, and yet still indicating I'm going left.
If I'm turning right, I'll take the left hand side of that lane, and still indicate to turn right.

Its purely for the fact that so many roads are narrow and you need sometimes the space to turn the bike into the center of the lane you are going into to. ( I hope that makes sense !!!!)

Its not illegal by the way !!

But you still get cagers that come along side you when turning into the same direction, purely to be the first off the mark. These numbnuts just don't understand what we have to deal with sometimes.........
Here it's illegal. They teach it in the MSC, but make a point to tell you, if you are going for your licence you will fail if you do it.

It is illegal for cars to lane split. It is not allowed in many of the states for motorcycles to. They are breaking the law and would be ticketed if a policeman was there to witness.
Very rarely will a LEO here give a cage a ticket over a bike. I had an old husk go by me on the right with millimeters to spare at a red light. The LEO's felt it much more important to follow me while they ran my plate than to even talk to the old fool.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well over here its not, if you are situated in the right lane to make a turn, whether left or right and your indicator is on, you have right of way to be anywhere in that specific lane.

BUT I could understand it being different in the States, like I said before mate, the lanes over there are much wider than here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anyone making a turn from the wrong side of the lane around here is asking to be run down. Most cagers drive in a trance. Try counting the number of women driving who are not talking on a cell phone, for example.
But your NOT turning from the wrong side of the lane are you ?
Whats the difference being in the middle of the lane at traffic lights to turn right and one foot to your left ??? Nothing.

It doesn't matter where you are in that lane, as long as your indicator is on and you are in the right lane.

As for women driving wwith their cellphones,they should be shot. I mean it.
Again,I don't know what the law is in the States but over here its against the law to drive while holding your cellphone.
Its a heavy fine aswell. And rightly so.
A handsfree is allowed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.