Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone in cali seriously thinking red lodge ths year ?

I am looking at it, but still not sure, but how many of us going may make a change

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Yay! Let's hear it for a big group from California this year!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Maybe. Have to see how the wife's health/job situation is.
When is it again.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
It's in southern Montana, not far from the entrance to Yellowstone Park and at the base of the fabulous Beartooth Pass. One of the best rides in the country, IMHO.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rich/art

I still think an early wednesday afternoon departure, hit Reno the first day, then whatever our old bones can handle thursday, then red lodge on friday.

could be done without too much problem, will have to have the fairing on by then for the tunes.

I will probably have to quit shaving now so that I have the scruffy biker look by july

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
This just keeps getting better and better! Art, I would dearly love to get to meet you. I sure hope you can make it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Too bad it's not a week earlier, since the 4th holiday is paid time off. I should have plenty of PTO by then, but it's almost going to be a last minute decision.

I was thinking take Wednesday to Wednesday off, that'll be plenty of time for the return trip. What time do people start leaving Sunday... does it go all day, or is Sunday just a long "goodbye" day?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Rich, this past year quiet a few departed on Sunday, so yes a long goodbye day. A few others stayed over till Monday and took the a long route home. This past year the rally was the weekend after the 4th. So some of us in the NW departed that day and took three days to get there. It was not a direct route. We rode to SE WA and met up with some forum members, spending the night and then rode to Mt and met up with more members after spending the night in Lolo, MT. For the last leg into Red Lodge we had quiet a group. Actually getting there was as much fun as being at the rally. iSpeed rode from Mass to Mt. Vernon Wa and then turned around and rode with us back to Red Lodge. He had every kind of bug in existence stuck to that bike...:) For those of you considering the trip you should check out some of the threads and pics from this past summer.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
We don't usually leave until Monday (and we try to get there on Thursday, if we can). Even then, it's really hard to go. Lots of tears as people depart. If you come, watch out for Dawn! I can't even look at her on the last day because we both start bawling. :D

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
LOL!

I know the feeling. Back in the late 90s, a group of us from one of the Fidonet forums used to get together in Portland once a year to play guitar. We'd start arriving Thursday. Friday and Saturday we'd cruise the guitar shops in Portland, see some of the sights, enjoy some good food, and laugh at the Oregonians who can't buy booze anywhere but the state store and can't pump their own gas :biggrin:

It was a bunch of crotchety old guys, so there weren't any tears, but it still wasn't any fun having to go home Sunday.

Hmm... I think if we can make Reno Wednesday, we could be good to complete the trip Thursday.... though it'll be a 500+ mile day backed up by a 900+ mile day if we stop in Reno... that's a long run for a 2nd day at 16 hours. The plus side is it'll save us a hotel night.

If we bypass Reno and let Lobo ride separately, we can cruise up the 15 to SLC, then on to RL, making it about 660 and 580 miles... about 100 miles longer for Art on the first day, though we could make the first stop before SLC to even it out for him if he doesn't want to go the last 100 miles or so.

Art... what's your estimate on your long-distance riding comfort?

I'd love to do an Ironbutt, but not as a part of a trip like this... I'd much rather do an "out and back"

Maybe we can do the return trip through Reno with Lobo and make it three 400/500 mile days coming home to relax a bit and get some different scenery.

Mark... keep in mind that the limit on 395 is 65 for the southern part, and drops to 45/55 in places between Mammoth and Reno. The area around Lee Vining is a speed trap at, IIRC, 35. My mapping software is calling it 11.5 hours from Chino to Reno, and I'm 1/2 hour closer to the 395 than you are. By comparison, it's only calling about 10.5 hours to SLC slabbing it on the 15 all the way (and I know Art's route was more scenic through Utah).

I'm tall enough that my apes aren't a problem in Nevada. Utah is iffy... they say no higher than the shoulders, but they also say no more than 15" above the seat. I'll have the fairing on by then though and I'm going to have to pull them back a bit... they might pass.

We might want to consider a VERY early departure Wednesday and try to cover most of the mileage so we can relax on Thursday and hit RL for a late dinner.
One thing that I've learned from successful Ironbutt riders is to try to keep your schedule as "normal" as you can. If you normally get up for work at 6am, plan the ride to leave around 6 or 7. Trying to make for a 2 or 3am departure, or leaving later in the day throws you off and fatigue is a killer.
Starting 100% fresh is the best way to go, and if we're going to take the day off work, we may as well take advantage of it.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Rich, you should check with Dawn and Annie. I think they might be going up I-15 and you might be able to meet up with them. Last year, we were going to meet them in Logan, UT, and then ride up to Idaho to meet up with Kim. Then all of us were going to ride to Lolo together and join the group riding from there to Red Lodge. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for us because my husband had to go and have a stent in his heart the day we were supposed to leave. :)

This year we're thinking a lot about riding out to Portland and then riding north and joining the PNW folks for the ride into Red Lodge.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Julie - Marilyn and I are headed out of Albuquerque on June 27, headed for my brother's house north of Bellingham for the 4th then over to Red Lodge. Sounds like there are plans to be made.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Jake, I would love to hookup and make the ride with you to RL! This past year only Spok, Big John, ISpeed and I made the trip from the Seattle area. Jukief if you all can make it all the better! Jake give Marilyn my regards and a big hug!
BTW did you ever get that windshield?:)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
mark, rich
a third choice is ride up to my house, laugh, giggle and have dinner and leave in the morning. that's over 100 miles, then you can rest and check your gear and fix or change anything you need. a thought.
That would work if we do Reno instead of Vegas/Utah, but the problem with the northern route is the 900+ miles from Reno to Red Lodge, unless we push the first day beyond Reno.
I'd like to get over half way Wednesday so we don't end up arriving TOO late Friday if we can't complete the trip in 2 days.

It adds over 400 miles to the ride round-trip compared to following your original route. I'd love to ride with Ken, but we'll all be riding and hanging together for 3 days in RL, and I'd hate to add that much mileage (and 7 hours?) to the ride to meet up with someone we'll be hooking up with later anyways... especially if we can hook up with the AZ and Colorado riders along the southern route.

I'm thinking that your original route might be best, then we can spend the 1st night somewhere around Salt Lake.

The advantage of taking 395 through Reno is it won't be QUITE as warm as taking the 15 through Nevada into Utah... but it ain't gonna be a cool ride either way, and summer RV traffic on 395 can make it a bear.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts