Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to find out if there is any interest in a possible development of a wide tire kit (200 probably the widest) and maybe the production of a springer front end for our bikes. This is just a feeler to see who is interested and if these products would even sell. As far as the back wheel would go, you would have to convert over to a disc setup either from the 800 drifter, or from the vn1500. If there IS interest, let me know asap and I will let everyone know where to write.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in the process of trying to find out if there is any interest in a possible development of a wide tire kit (200 probably the widest) and maybe the production of a springer front end for our bikes. This is just a feeler to see who is interested and if these products would even sell. As far as the back wheel would go, you would have to convert over to a disc setup either from the 800 drifter, or from the vn1500. If there IS interest, let me know asap and I will let everyone know where to write.
Count me in! :cool: Im interested in the wide tire and springer kit.....Ill keep checking this thread for updates.....

Thanks

JP

·
Registered
886 Posts
Springer front ends are already made for them by Boat Rap in Japan, but they don't ship internationally. If you can get past that hurdle you're in. I was very tempted to fly up to Japan and bring one back in hand luggage for my bike, but the budget just didn't stretch that far.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah I sent them an email asking if the springer was available, but haven't heard back yet... They source their stuff from the same Japanese supplier.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Springer front ends are already made for them by Boat Rap in Japan, but they don't ship internationally. If you can get past that hurdle you're in. I was very tempted to fly up to Japan and bring one back in hand luggage for my bike, but the budget just didn't stretch that far.
Yea. Not willing to fly to Japan, but I am toggling between two manufacturers right now and just trying to show that there is enough interest to produce such an item and that they will definitley generate a profit if this is done. One is local where I am stationed right now and the other is from my home state. My other option for a springer front is to have my local custom shop where I have my work done (southeastern steel choppers), weld me a harley neck on. I love your bike!! I just saw the pics you posted and am elated that I am not the only one refusing to put leather and tassells all over. Just not my style. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but it's just not for me. Right now, I have sort of a pro-street thing going and am just waiting for the right "parts" to bob it out. I love the look you have and would like to know what you did for the solo seat the way you have it? I want to put a spring solo on mine, but how did you cover the battery. Did you bang out your own seat pan or what? I hope to generate more interest than two, so I will check daily and once we're over 15-20 I'll let you know who we can pester.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yea. Not willing to fly to Japan, but I am toggling between two manufacturers right now and just trying to show that there is enough interest to produce such an item and that they will definitley generate a profit if this is done. One is local where I am stationed right now and the other is from my home state. My other option for a springer front is to have my local custom shop where I have my work done (southeastern steel choppers), weld me a harley neck on. I love your bike!! I just saw the pics you posted and am elated that I am not the only one refusing to put leather and tassells all over. Just not my style. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but it's just not for me. Right now, I have sort of a pro-street thing going and am just waiting for the right "parts" to bob it out. I love the look you have and would like to know what you did for the solo seat the way you have it? I want to put a spring solo on mine, but how did you cover the battery. Did you bang out your own seat pan or what? I hope to generate more interest than two, so I will check daily and once we're over 15-20 I'll let you know who we can pester.
Yeh.. perryrl.. thanks for U're working and intrest on these subjects.. the more parts and mods for our beloved 800reds.. the better.. more options are always a good thing..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah I sent them an email asking if the springer was available, but haven't heard back yet... They source their stuff from the same Japanese supplier.
Something.. (I think).. would be "AWESOME" on U're beautiful 800.. would be UP-SWEEPING exhaust.. I have been searching the internet for such a thing.. with-out any luck.. I'd like to have the turn-down "BUB" pipes on my 800red.. but "BUB" do not produce this style for the VN800.. that I can find..

ANYWAY.. keep it up.. U're 800red is beautiful..

·
Registered
293 Posts
BYE THE WAY.. MY WIFE AND I.. love U're Avatar.. so cute.. LOL

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BYE THE WAY.. MY WIFE AND I.. love U're Avatar.. so cute.. LOL
Thank you. That's my youngest :). I just sent some pics to you for the club. I didn't even know that I was a member!! It's good to know that I am though. LOVE your site!! I have tried to make all kinds of things work for my bike and I will try anything to get the look I want (besides spend a small fortune).

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
There are already a wide tire kit available for the VN800, made by Burchard in Germany. It's gonna cost you a leg so I wouldn't even consider it. You need a wider swingarm, new rim, new tire, new fender and struts, longer axle bolt, move the front sprocket furhter out, modify the brake... and the list continues.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thank you. That's my youngest :). I just sent some pics to you for the club. I didn't even know that I was a member!! It's good to know that I am though. LOVE your site!! I have tried to make all kinds of things work for my bike and I will try anything to get the look I want (besides spend a small fortune).
Thanks for the pics.. we will have U're page(s) up the next time we up-date..

ALSO.. thanks for the kind words.. YES.. U have been a member for a couple months now.. U had requested membership.. the "800 Club" thread reflects U're request.. see page (14) near the bottom.. U are mentioned in a couple posts.. anyway..

We're pleased to have U join along side.. Welcome to the "800 Club".. please consider the club site.. U're site too.. all members own the club.. I just help out.. LOL

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are already a wide tire kit available for the VN800, made by Burchard in Germany. It's gonna cost you a leg so I wouldn't even consider it. You need a wider swingarm, new rim, new tire, new fender and struts, longer axle bolt, move the front sprocket furhter out, modify the brake... and the list continues.
I just looked at that and they are CRAZY!!! If the kit here that I'm hoping to get here gets put into production, it'll be more, but you will move to a disc rear and use a PM billet wheel. Alot better trade off than getting a rim unlaced and still having to use a drum rear on a 15" rim. I'm gonna try to get a meeting with my local guy this weekend. I hope to hear more on this site as far as interest.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have an interest in a reasonably priced wide tire kit. Something that included all necessary parts. Or at least the necessary mechanical bits, leave it up to modder for rear tin, etc.
Well, I hope that I can help you as I don't know what a reasonable price is. I have been looking at all of the ones for HD and they start at about $1000. I am assuming that ours will be about the same, but I am hoping that we can by-pass some of that by making some of the VN1500 parts interchangable (ie. forward controls, rear wheel, and brake and lines) to keep the swap at the lowest possible price so that we could leave it up to the consumer if he/she wanted to go with a different wheel, fender etc. Interest, of course will dictate price as we all know to see if this will be a one off thing for those interested or will generate enough interest to actually place these items into production. I will keep everyone posted as I find out more. All that read please bump to top to keep interest.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE!!!

Waiting on a call to meet and discuss options this weekend. Did a little more research myself, and I'm not sure if it will be cost effective to alter a springer, but I found a Harley neck for $60.00 and am wondering if it would just be easier to weld a neck on and be able to use whichever front end you like. Gonna bring it up and see which is easier. I can get a springer front for $350.00, so you're looking at $400.00 for parts and probably about 4-5 hours for labor. Less than a grand for all of it and you get to use the oh so abundant Harley parts catalog.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would think it would be much easier to modify the springer front end to suit the bike, than weld in a different neck to your frame. I think it's just a case of some machining on the front end to accept the Kawasaki neck barings.

PM Alley Rat, he's currently adapting a Harley Springer front end to his VN800.

Keep us updated though.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts