Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a KZ1000 which needs a new cam chain. I've heard it is possible to avoid tearing down the entire engine by replacing the chain with one that has a master link (or, breaking a rivit and reinstalling a new rivit).

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, where can such chains be purchased?

Thanks,
Mark

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
never heard/seen a master link cam chain. you can replace the cam chain without a problem. you sould have to pull the valve cover, cam chain tensioner, maybe cam sprokets. if its loose enough once you take the tensioner out then you can just pull it off the sprockets on the cams/crank and feed the new one back in. just make sure you dont mess with cam timing once its apart.
call www.bikebandit.com or www.ronayers.com
good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
The cam chain is (In my humble experience) a morse chain, not a roller chain. I don't think it is possible to have a master-link on a morse chain?
It may be possible to replace the chain easily on the bikes that have the cam-chain on one side of the engine (Yam XS; ZZR 11; GPz Ninja's etc...), but if it is up the middle like most bikes, you definately have to split the crankcase...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Brett said:
It may be possible to replace the chain easily on the bikes that have the cam-chain on one side of the engine (Yam XS; ZZR 11; GPz Ninja's etc...), but if it is up the middle like most bikes, you definately have to split the crankcase...
GOOD POINT , forgot all about the center cam chains. :wink: def. a case splitter if thats the type used :shock: :wink: .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts