Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting an intermittent metallic noise from the upper cylinder area which I have assumed is a worn cam chain or tensioner. I removed the tensioner (against my better judgement) which appears to be OK. However I'm not sure about the procedure for replacement. There are no ratchets or 'clicks' as I have read concerning other bikes. It simply screws into the main fitting and then onto the bike. Do I then have to release the screw at the back to allow the tensioner to opperate?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well I'll take this opprtunity to welcome you to the site.

As for your question I'm not really able to answer it but hopefully when kawi has time he'll get back to you.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
That is a 1983 model I would guess! We are thinking that you probably need to release the screw based on other models however we do not have manuals that go back that far so I would suggest looking for vintage repair manuals online . How stretched is your chain? 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is a 1991 model (one of the last). I've had some help since I posted the question. The bolt is unscrewed to release the tensioner into the casing. The bolt is then re-tightened to make seal the end. I don't know how stretched the chain is - at the moment i'm only assuming the noise is from the chain but looked at the tensioner first. There is pitting on the tensioner rod which could be causing it to stick allowing free play in the chain. I am in the process of getting new internals for the tensioner and we'll see how it goes from there.
Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi jimmy

You need to clean the surface of the chain tensioner !
The screw is to fix the tensioner while mounting. Otherwise the spring pushes the tensioner in such a strong manner that it is impossible to mount it. After mounting, of course it must be released to let the spring do its work and push the aglet against the tensioner.
Perhaps the spring could be worn out (too soft).

Is the noise only be heared when machine is in idle-speed (RPM)?
Then it is the bearing of the clutch: in new condition the clutch acts as balancer for vibrations, it is not round but slightly oval ! After some 50.000 km it is worn out and begins to "knock" at idle-speed or if carburatores are not exactly synchronised. On higher speed it vanishes.

Also possible: a worn out camshaft bearing. Is very likely. The small bike has no oil-warning-lamp, the oil-pump is driven by a nylon-sprocket and the camshaft has no bearing, directly fitted into the head. Most owners do not warm up the machine. Therefore I've seen some "dead" heads like this :-(

·
Bob
238 Posts
I have a 1982 KZ440Ltd and the Clymer book sid to back out on the srcew that holds the tensioner in place and when it releases you will actually hear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Afternoon All,
I'm aware that this is an old post but I'm hoping that someone is still reading.
I'm having the same issue. the tap, tap, tap that sounds like an old fiesta. Been told to check the tensioner but as I'm doing all my work myself, (new rear shock, new discs, new brake pads, paint,just put a new clutch in the other day) and learning as I go, I thought I'd ask what exactly I need to do. I've had a look at the back of the cylinders.
Would I be correct in assuming that it the little black shaft poking out just below the where the carbs sit, has 2 bolts holding it to the cylinder and one bolt at the very end ?
What do I need to do?
Any and all help greatfully appreciated.
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts