Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I need to find out how much it would cost to replace my cams.The reason why is, when i had my zx7r tuned up the mechanic failed to tighten the cam caps properly . I found this out when i was riding the bike hard .When i stoped at a light i could feel something rattling inside the valve covers . So i took it to a friends house and took a look at what it was . Found nothing .We did find that the cam tower was not tourqed down so we did tourqe them down. Now when i ride the bike i could feel a vibration . And sometimes the rattling comes back for a second or two .It must be the cam bearings / caps? If i continue riding it what could happen ?Any help would be appreciated . Thanks all

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CONSUMERS RULE on What I Learned Today Page

Hopefully the Mechanic was workig at the shop that did this...You should be able to take it back and tell them to check out what you have found and suspect...they should have to pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Cams are unlikely to be what's worn as they are made of steel.

More than likely it's the Cam Carrier which is made from Ally.

Unfortunately the Carrier comes as an inline bored item complete with the Cylinder head at a cost in the UK of £913.00.. OUCH

To keep riding the bike in this condition risks the Carrier breaking up if this happens the Cams will beat the living daylights out of your top end..

More important is the risk of parting company with the machine should the motor blow whilst your astride her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts