Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on cam grinds and interchangability of the 1500's and the Mean Streak.

I've got an '04 Nomad and am looking for a little more grunt and punch. Already done the pipe/DFO/K&N thing. I have riden a few Meanies it feels like they make a little more power, so I'm wondering if the cam profiles are different, and if they are, will they bolt up to the Nomad.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Mean Streak is a 1600 but I don't know if that's just a 1500 that's been bored out.

I'd be leaning towards no, that they aren't bolt on. Actually have no idea though.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I thought the cam angles had to be fine tuned to the whole resonance of the system (intake and exhaust/valve profile, air box, headers). Most bikes come so fine tuned from the factory that I wouldn't think just dropping in a new set of cams would be a plus unless they also gave you all the other stuff that was matched to it.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
IIRC, the 1600 engine has just a slightly longer stroke but the same bore diameter as the 1500.

Don't forget that a good bit of the enhanced performance of the Mean Streak comes from different gearing. For any given speed, a Mean Streak will be turning higher rpm's than a comparable 1500 or 1600 Classic or Nomad. This gearing transfers more power to the rear wheel even though the Mean Streak engine doesn't produce that much more. If you're considering really tearing into the engine why not just do the 95" big-bore kit and go all the way?

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! All great responses! Thanks!

Basically, I was just brain surfing the idea more than anything. My Nomad does the job, and I really don't need to do anything to it. But I think I want more, you know?

I looked at the Thunder big bore/cam kit, thanks for pointing it out. My initial concern would be long term relaiability and driveability. But it is cool as heck!

After I posted I wondered about the gearing thing, good point! I wasn't sure about that and it makes perfect sense. I assume that it would be a different gearset in the rear?

My wife and I ride about 10K miles a year in and around the NC mountains and surrounding area. Most of the riding we do is two up with moderately loaded bags. Sometimes I just wish the bike had just a little more grunt out of turns and pulling some hills.

But you know how that goes...

Thanks again for the great replies!

Bruce

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I thought the cam angles had to be fine tuned to the whole resonance of the system (intake and exhaust/valve profile, air box, headers). Most bikes come so fine tuned from the factory that I wouldn't think just dropping in a new set of cams would be a plus unless they also gave you all the other stuff that was matched to it.
Some guys on the Vulcan 500 list have swapped in EX500 cams and rockers to open the highend of the bike but gets rid of some pull at low RPMs. That's literally all they did though. However other than the pipes, cams and rockers I think everything else on the two engines are exactly the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
?

I think that the 1600 is just a 1500 with a longer stroke and i think the nomad and classic have the same motor as the mean streak. I know the cams are different and i wouldn't doubt that you could swap them. But on the gearing thing... are the gears in the rear different or is it the tranny cause if it's the gears i would like to change them in my mean streak so that i pull lower revs on the highway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
These are the same base motors. The mean streak has a different cam grind, larger valves, and a 40mm throttle body where the nomad has a 36mm throttle body.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I thought the Mean Streak engine was the one co-designed with Suzuki for their power cruiser? It's interesting that they were able to use the bottom end in the Classic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts