Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can gather, the 1500 FI motors have more aggressive cam timing that the carbureted versions. My manual for the '96-08 1500 classic states an increase in duration on both intake and exhaust of 8 degrees. This corresponds to an increase in static compression from 8.6 to 9.0. I am going to assume also, the 1600 FI cam timing would be the same as the 1500 FI, but I may be assuming a lot, who knows.

The last time I had my motor out, to fix some leaks, I noticed that my cam lobes were trash. I guess it was the result of a very low idle by the previous owner. The journals and saddles checked out okay, so I guess there was enough oil pressure there, but since the lobes only get splash oil, they were gone due to the low idle. I pretty much figure that the rockers are toast also.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I had to get the bike back together, so I didn't address the problem at that time. besides, it was running great before I took it apart............but, this spring, I am going to pull the motor again and change the cams and rockers. I scored a set of cams from a 1600. I am assuming that the have a little more aggressive profile. I guess we shall see. The proof is in the pudding.

Anyone have any input?

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
The EFI 1600 cams are all the same and pretty mild, Mean Streak included. EFI 1500's use the same cam except the 1500 Mean Streak. You probably want 1500 Mean Streak cams. They have more duration and less lobe seperation.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point, anything will be better than what I have. I bet there is at least .030 missing from the lobes. I am going to replace the stock rockers with roller rockers. I can manufacture them a lot cheaper that buying stockers at 65 a piece. Another option that I am considering is to machine two cam cores and have them ground to a roller profile. I might as well take advantage of the rollers and quicken up the ramp and get a better profile to boot. Nothing too radical but just a tad more than stock. I don't have the static compression to support too wild of a cam.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
The problem with changing to roller rockers (like changing to roller lifters in this case as the rockers run on the lobe like a lifter) is that you will radically change the lift curve and dramatically shorten your effective duration without cams specific to your roller diameter. Stock rockers/cams run with synthetic oil seem to hold up just fine. Roller profile cams for a 1500/1600 Vulcan might be difficult at minimum and probably prohibitively expensive to acquire. It's hard to imagine much real advantage, interesting thought though.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with what you say, but...................I am not one to leave well enough alone. I could very well just replace the cam and rockers, but I like to operate outside the envelope. I am already in contact with a cam grinder that can grind a roller profile. All is needed is a blank core which I can manufacture at little cost. This hold true for the rockers also. As far as real advantage.........I guess that is a point of argument. A small amount of reduced friction and wear and a shift in peak torque for more power would be the advantage.

·
Low Voltage High Current
217 Posts
I agree with what you say, but...................I am not one to leave well enough alone. I could very well just replace the cam and rockers, but I like to operate outside the envelope. I am already in contact with a cam grinder that can grind a roller profile. All is needed is a blank core which I can manufacture at little cost. This hold true for the rockers also. As far as real advantage.........I guess that is a point of argument. A small amount of reduced friction and wear and a shift in peak torque for more power would be the advantage.
Im just curious. Since you are going to have the motor apart that far, imo...I would go ahead and do a mild porting job/clean up on the heads. It would make for a great compliment to the other work your doing.

I have considered going the same route as you with having cams made, for my '03 MS. The only performance cams readily available are from Thunders Big Bore/cam kit. Look forward to following more of your progress.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just curious. Since you are going to have the motor apart that far, imo...I would go ahead and do a mild porting job/clean up on the heads. It would make for a great compliment to the other work your doing.

I have considered going the same route as you with having cams made, for my '03 MS. The only performance cams readily available are from Thunders Big Bore/cam kit. Look forward to following more of your progress.
Yes...I had considered the same thing. I will be talking to my cam grinder on Monday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.