Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m new to the Kawasaki world but have owned one or more of each of the other Japanese competitors. I just bought this bike 2 days ago and have not ridden it since my test drive which went great. It ran good and drove nice and I was thrilled. It has been raining since the morning after I brought it home so it has just been sitting there till now when I decided to move it to another part of my yard by driving it and it just won’t go.

Details:
It has 15000+ miles and appears to be in very good condition. It starts and runs and revs great. It rolls fine in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in so I figure the drive shaft is ok but I don’t know much about how a motorcycle driveshaft works. When I put it in first gear and try to go it’s like the brakes are fully applied. I can’t get it to budge. As soon as I start to let out the clutch it just conks the engine no matter how gentle I try to be. If I rev it up to try harder it still conks immediately upon engaging the clutch.
I’m not sure if this matters but I can’t get it into second gear to see if it’s just a first gear problem. I read that it has a feature to stop me from putting it in second when not moving so I figure that’s what’s happening there, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

History between purchasing and bringing it home:
Could it have been caused from my trailer transportation? I must say I was a little worried because I trailered it home using a borrowed trailer that bounced constantly and erratically over every slight bump. So much so that inwardly I wondered how that might affect the bike. I figured if it causes any carb problems I could deal with that easily enough, but I never thought it could have caused transmission problems (if that’s what this is?).
The bike was very well strapped front and back and wheel chocked, so it did not move at all in its position on the trailer, but that made it shake so much more than if I let it use its own shocks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the kick stand switch.
My '99 behaves just like that if I leave the kick stand down.
OMG!! Fast reply...Instant success...No more buyers remorse. I'm not used to all these luxury features on a bike. I've always had a chain and had to lean forward a bit. The closest thing I had to a cruiser was a V65 Sabre (which was my only shaft drive before now) when I was in my 20s and it didn't have these bells and whistles.

If I left my stand down in the past I would just get catapulted or at the very least freaked out by the noise of my kickstand retracting as I made my first left lean.

Now my fingers are killing me from yanking that little plunger down because it looked like it was disengaged but it really wasn't, so I kept yanking until I could let the clutch out successfully. :)

Any suggestions for lube or should I just use whatever I have? (WD-40, grease, or just clean it?) It had something all over it because my fingers were as black as charcoal afterward.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
PB Blaster or Superwrench will loosen up the switch. WD-40 is for Water Displacement, not for penetrating and lubricating.

·
Registered
461 Posts
PB Blaster or Superwrench will loosen up the switch. WD-40 is for Water Displacement, not for penetrating and lubricating.
Yup, good advice here. Love PB Blaster. WD-40 would probably loosen up your switch but wouldn't have any lasting affects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts