Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I picked up a 1973 G5 that sat for many years. It’s all there except for a spark at the plug. Ive checked everything I can think of and now I’m getting desperate, like can the flywheel be the cause due to its weak magnets? It’s got six magnets and they are the weakest I’ve ever seen on a magneto. Is it possible this is the problem?
I sent 6 volts through the coil circuit as a test and I got spark then but the wires got a bit toasty so that tells me that power is not getting produced by the magneto coil but it tested ok on the ohm meter. Has anyone come across a faulty flywheel?
thanks everyone
DC20C940-16E5-4700-BCE0-F3508F20B5FE.jpeg

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it has been removed/installed with an impact or dropped, they can lose magnetism. enough to quit,? don't know. but hammering on a magnet will definitely weaken it.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
It has been documented that weak magnets affect running of the engine up to the point it will not have enough energy to make a spark. Age will also weaken "permanent" magnets.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
This entire thread is worth a read, if you want to learn how flywheel magnetism loss can affect ignition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts