Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hp

Really? Hmmm...does anyone know of a site that shows HP stats for all different kinds of sport bikes? Oh and also, Horse power wise, which bike has more horses....The Yamaha R6 or the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R? I was told that the Yamaha had 125 HP....don't know if this is true or not, but if anyone knows, give me a shout :grin: The reason I ask is because me and a friend were comparing HP, and we wanted an accurate number...because we aren't too sure. If anyone can help, that would be great! Thanks!

~ Mel

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Whoever said 125 was smoking the jamba! The R6 is reportedly pushing 108 this year which is pretty darn fast and lots of horses for most.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hp

Hmmm, so in other words....the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R is more powerful than the Yamaha R6? Green Knight, are those HP readings accurate? Oh, and does anyone know where I can find a site to look up HP on these two bikes? Thanks for the replies!

~ Mel

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Freakinout said:
Those differences are almost nothing. The rider is 80% of the ability, the bike is the other 20%.

Thats very true. The only way you could notice the difference is jumping right from one of the other bikes to the ZX-6R and then maybe if you're a good rider you could tell the difference.

As far as finding the HP and Torque curves for the new '05s Ninjachick... I"m not sure that you will find them other than what the manufacturer "claims" that it is. Thats not always true :p. Next spring Sport Rider should have their results out. Like I said though, Freakinout is right, there is no way you'll tell the difference from one to the next. You don't need to know the difference anyway because when you're learning you shouldn't take the machines to that kind of an edge. I would recomend to try to keep away from doing any "stupid stuff" for atleast a year depending on how fast your learn maybe longer. Not that I don't do any of that stupid stuff myself though :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HP differences

Hey again everyone!

Freakinout - Good way to look at it :grin:

NinjaGirl - Yes, I have decided on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, the only reason I am asking this question is because my friend has a Yamaha R6, and we were just comparing HP on the bikes.

Green Knight - I know HP doesn't matter really, but he was saying his Yamaha R6 had 125 HP, and I was like woah....that sounds way too high :p So I thought I would ask here and see if he was right or not. Honestly, I don't think he was really sure himself :grin:

~ Mel

·
Registered
193 Posts
Horsepower by itself means nothing anyway. What are the weight differences? How much torque? What is the gearing ratio?

You can be on a 125hp bike that is easily slower than a 104hp bike given the factors above. But yes, a 600cc with 125hp would be modified. There are no stock bikes out there that combine those numbers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When someone claims their bike,car...whatever produces x amount of HP, I always ask for a dyno printout. That's when the BS stops.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have a friend with a '04 CBR600RR that would probably have 125ish HP but he put in about $12,000 in extras after he bought it. I would hope you could get another 20hp with $12,000. I'm pretty sure he could smoke my ZX-9R. Only things on mine that aren't stock as far as performance is the pipe and the air box. Like I said in another post my 900cc engine puts out 130hp stock. I'd prolly be lucky if the mods to mine gave me 5 more hp. As far as my friends 600 being 125hp... I'm not sure on that, its just a guess. Unless your friend put in a **** load of mods I doubt its much more than 110hp if that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2005 R6 is declared by Yamaha 126HP(on engine) with ram air. 2005 ZX6R is declared by Kawasaki 136HP (on engine) with ram air.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
michaelvZX6RR said:
Horsepower by itself means nothing anyway. What are the weight differences? How much torque? What is the gearing ratio?

You can be on a 125hp bike that is easily slower than a 104hp bike given the factors above. But yes, a 600cc with 125hp would be modified. There are no stock bikes out there that combine those numbers.
The biggest difference in any of the new sportbikes is the rider If you look at the stats they are so close. The fastest motorcycle is the one that the person can ride to its fullest capability. Look at Rossi - switches from the Honda (huge loss for Honda) to Yamaha and still wins a championship. I bet you could put Rossi on almost any bike and still win!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The HP readings that Sport Rider are giving are all "hp at the wheel." I can see how someone could get confused. If I went by engine HP with my RAM air on my 9 it would be a heck of a lot more than 130 :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
RWHP (Rear-Wheel HorsePower) is what actually matters in the real world. Yes, HP at the engine crank is going to be higher, but is also going to be essentially useless in telling what you'll drive on the street (same with cars).

·
Registered
32 Posts
erm i don't know if this will be helpful but the 2005 CBR600 makes a genuine
115.3bhp @13,000rpm ( gearbox figure ) the rule as i know it is you subtract 5 bhp from the gearbox to get the rear wheel figure so that would mean 110.3bhp for the Honda.
As for the 2005 ZX6R, the first dyno tests over here have shown that the ZX is gonna be the most powerful of the 600's with 130bhp @14,000rpm!!
Usualy you would then subtract about 10bhp to get the gearbox figure and then a further 5 to get the rear wheel figure, that gives a figure of 115 bhp!!

At the end of the day no two bikes will be the same but i guess its nice to know how much BHP you've got to play with :)
My Ninja for instance has a genuine 130.2bhp @9147rpm ( rear wheel figure ) and that always makes me smile when i'm out on a ride :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts