Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the synthetic oil need to be specifically for motorcycles? My local Pep Boys only had the Royal Purple SAE 10W 40. I'm about to do my own first oil change on my 900 lt. Dealer did the 600 mile service. I'm at 2500 now. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I currently am also running this exact oil in my 900 Custom, but my next change is going to be Amsoil for motorcycles. In my research over the last year I have found that certain oils have antifriction additives that are not great for your clutch and can cause glazing.

This is really the only difference in the many oils out there. As along as it doesn't have "friction inhibitors" I am told that it's ok to use with a wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently am also running this exact oil in my 900 Custom, but my next change is going to be Amsoil for motorcycles. In my research over the last year I have found that certain oils have antifriction additives that are not great for your clutch and can cause glazing.

This is really the only difference in the many oils out there. As along as it doesn't have "friction inhibitors" I am told that it's ok to use with a wet clutch.
It looks like the additive (Synerlec) is in all their oils. I can't really tell the difference in the auto and motorcycle oils.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found the following quote on RP's website:

"While the Royal Purple SAE and Racing engine oils may be used in motorcycle applications its Max-Cycle line of engine oils have been formulated specifically for motorcycle engines and transmissions."

It looks like it OK to use regular Synthetic. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
Do a search for the oil tests listed by Rich Lockyer and you'll find some of the best empirically based opinions available.

There are almost as many differing ideas about oil on this web site as there are riders.
Some oils are "better" than others.
But if you are expecting to change your oil every 2k or so, comply with the sae certification listed in your MOM and you will probably be good to go-depending on how extreme an environment you encounter and what environment you provide your engine through your riding behaviors.
Do NOT use "energy conserving" oils.

Me, I've never used a motorcycle specific oil; never had a problem. But then, I've never tried to put 80k or more miles on my bike before-but I am this time, so we'll see.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm running Rotella Syn 5W-40. It's not made for motorcycles but it works well. Shifting is better and I change it every 3500 miles anyways. As long as you don't use oil with additives that will cause slippage and change it regularly you should be fine. JMO.
See when i used rotella 5w40 synth in my girlfriends honda rebel it didnt feel any different. BUT when i used it in my vulcan 2000 it made shifting very bad in 1000 miles.. I mean notchy.. almost like i was running low on oil or something...

chris

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
See when i used rotella 5w40 synth in my girlfriends honda rebel it didnt feel any different. BUT when i used it in my vulcan 2000 it made shifting very bad in 1000 miles.. I mean notchy.. almost like i was running low on oil or something...
The Rotella-T 5w-40 is not a good choice for year round oil in my area, becuase after that initial shear down in those first 1000 miles it's gonna be acting more like a 5w-30. And since 8 months out of the year here in TX we're riding in 80F+ temps that' just not the right oil wt.

However, I do use the Rotella 5w-40 for my winter oil. Because it is great stuff for cold morning starts and winter cruising (often commute with temps in the 20Fs). And the Rotella is a great oil for cleaning out the crap dino oil leaves behind. Just don't run it past 3k and avoid using it in warm weather and you should be fine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The Rotella-T 5w-40 is not a good choice for year round oil in my area, becuase after that initial shear down in those first 1000 miles it's gonna be acting more like a 5w-30. And since 8 months out of the year here in TX we're riding in 80F+ temps that' just not the right oil wt.

However, I do use the Rotella 5w-40 for my winter oil. Because it is great stuff for cold morning starts and winter cruising (often commute with temps in the 20Fs). And the Rotella is a great oil for cleaning out the crap dino oil leaves behind. Just don't run it past 3k and avoid using it in warm weather and you should be fine.
Right now ive been using a 50/50 mixture of amsoil mc oil in 10w40 and 20w50. My recent oil analysis at 5005 miles were amazing. Extremely low wear for a bike this size, and all the addtives were very robust still. Blackstone labs recommended going another 1000 miles on the oil and retesting if i wanted too. The mixture gives me a very thick W40. Just a hair until 50.

chris

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the oil change last night. I only rode it around the block, but noticed a difference in sound and feel. With the Purolator filter, it took about 3.5 quarts. The manual indicated it would take 3.1. The oil level looks fine, though. This is the first time I've ever used a synthetic oil in ANY vehicle. I'm impressed so far.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Did the oil change last night. I only rode it around the block, but noticed a difference in sound and feel. With the Purolator filter, it took about 3.5 quarts. The manual indicated it would take 3.1. The oil level looks fine, though. This is the first time I've ever used a synthetic oil in ANY vehicle. I'm impressed so far.
Which oil did you end up using?

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
This is an interesting thread, as I'm getting ready to make another oil change on the 1500 Nomad FI. I've been using the Mobil 1 15W-50, gold cap, for my last two oil changes, but can't seem to find this out there anymore. I see plenty of the silver cap bottles but had read somewhere it was different. I'm think the synthetic Castrol Syntec? Any advise on that one?

Thanks, Mark...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in every thing, my Z-71 Suburban, BMW 745Li, and all my bikes,

NEVER HAD AN ISSUE EVER

Used/Using Mobil 1 in all the fol:

1982 Kawi ZR-1 Eddie Lawson Replica
1983 Honda SB650SC Nighthawk
1984 Honda SB700 Nighthawk S
1986 Yamaha FZ 750
1986 Corvette
1980 Trans Am
1992 Trans Am
1995 Trans Am
1996 GMC Yukon SLT
1997 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4
2000 Trans Am Firehawk #0227
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
2001 VW Beetle
2003 VW Passat W8
2003 BMW 745 Li
2004 Suburban Z-71
2005 Suburban Z-71
2007 Kawi V2K LT
2007 Hyusong GV 650
2007 Kawi ZX-14
2007 Kawi EX 250 Ninja

just to name a few...and Zero Problems whatsoever...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts