Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 01 ninja 250R with 3000 miles on it last fall and its been running perfect up until last week.....

I was going around 55 mph and it seemed like i wasnt getting any response from the throttle after a couple of seconds the bikes rpms just got lower and then just shut down..... I had a little trouble getting it started again after that.

I barely made it back home and its seems like every time i start letting out the clutch the rpms will go way down and shut off even if I am giving enough gas... It also wont keep an idle speed without being choked.

I just put new spark plugs in 200 miles ago have NOT done anything with the carbs since I bought it.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks. :?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds exactly like what mine is doing to me. It did it a bit ago going down the road and now it does it as soon as it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done anything to it?

Im going to clean out the carbs and maybe its junky fuel. Im going to tear it apart tommorow and see what happens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a brand new set of carbs on it. Unrelated problem led me to get them. So it really shouldn't be them.

I'm gonna work on it this weekend. We'll see what comes of it.

Zach

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 99 250. The cause of my problem was torn vaccuum piston diaphragms. Since a pair of these would cost me 200$ CDN new, I went to the hardware store and got some liquid black tape. I fixed the problem and put different jets in and now the thing has never ran better. I tried changing jets first, but that wasn't the cause.

But the weird thing is that the day I changed my spark plugs, this started to happen. The thing would not get any power until 12 rpm which is basically the end of the line.

I dunno, rip the carbs apart and check the vaccuum pistins though!

Take care. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tore the carbs apart yesterday and cleaned them out, there was a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the bowls and i also cleaned out the fuel tank. The vacuum pistons seemed to be ok when i checked them tho.....

The bike worked fine for the fist time i got it going after the teardown, it even seemed to run smoother.....

But the second time i started it up a few hours later i ran into the same problem; it wouldnt hold the idle without a choke and i didnt get any response from my throttle either....

the wierd thing is after i let it run for a while and my temp guage got about midway it seemed to work fine again. somethin fishy

thanks for the tips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts