Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking around but so far no luck . so i thought i would come to those that know. In Florida can we legally ride in hov lanes without passengers. If so could someone cite the code reference for me.

thanks a lot

Fred

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
I would say they are not allowed in HOV lanes based on just the Florida statutes; the statute does not say that motorcycles are allowed:

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.0741 High occupancy vehicle lanes.--

(1) "High occupancy vehicle lane" or "HOV lane" means a lane of a public roadway designated for use by vehicles in which there is more than one occupant unless otherwise authorized by federal law.

(2) The number of persons that must be in a vehicle to qualify for legal use of the HOV lane and the hours during which the lane will serve as an HOV lane, if it is not designated as such on a full-time basis, must also be indicated on a traffic control device.

(3) A vehicle may not be driven in an HOV lane if the vehicle is occupied by fewer than the number of occupants indicated by a traffic control device. A driver who violates this section shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) that is certified and labeled in accordance with federal regulations may be driven in an HOV lane at any time, regardless of its occupancy. In addition, upon the state's receipt of written notice from the proper federal regulatory agency authorizing such use, a vehicle defined as a hybrid vehicle under this section may be driven in an HOV lane at any time, regardless of its occupancy. The department shall issue a decal and registration certificate, to be renewed annually, reflecting the HOV lane designation on such vehicles authorizing such use. The department may charge a fee for a decal, not to exceed the costs of designing, producing, and distributing each decal, or $5, whichever is less. The proceeds from sale of the decals shall be deposited in the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund.

(5) As used in this section, the term "hybrid vehicle" means a motor vehicle:

(a) That draws propulsion energy from onboard sources of stored energy which are both:

1. An internal combustion or heat engine using combustible fuel; and

2. A rechargeable energy storage system; and

(b) That, in the case of a passenger automobile or light truck:

1. Has received a certificate of conformity under the Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. ss. 7401 et seq.; and

2. Meets or exceeds the equivalent qualifying California standards for a low-emission vehicle.

(6) The department may adopt rules necessary to administer this section.

OTOH, I found this article on the AMA website:

American Motorcyclist Online

In 1991, the AMA was successful in getting federal officials to open these lanes up to space-efficient motorcycles, too. And a federal law specifically prohibits states from banning motorcycles from their HOV lanes unless they can demonstrate a specific safety hazard related to the road.

As a result of that law, motorcyclists across the country have been able to take advantage of HOV lanes to reduce their commuting time. So Perrine couldn’t understand why a police officer wrote her a ticket for using a lane she knew was open to motorcycles.
The federal law may allow it under the clause in the Florida law I highlighted in the first quote.

This is from the North Carolina DOT website's FAQs on HOV lanes (emphasis added by me):

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?

Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them traveling in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that overall auto and motorcycle safety is at greater risk.
If this is true motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes in all states, with some exceptions for safety reasons.

Here's the section of the "Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991" that addresses motorcycles and HOV lanes:

http://www.iti.northwestern.edu/clear/infr/istea1.txt

Public Law 102-240 [something something something]

SEC. 1016. PROGRAM EFFICIENCIES.

(a) HOV Passenger Requirements; Engineering Cost Reimbursement.-
Section 102 of title 23, United States Code, is amended to read as
follows:

``Sec. 102. Program efficiencies

``(a) HOV Passenger Requirements.-A State highway department shall
establish the occupancy requirements of vehicles operating in high
occupancy vehicle lanes; except that no fewer than 2 occupants per
vehicle may be required and, subject to section 163 of the Surface
Transportation Assistance Act of 1982, motorcycles and bicycles
shall not be considered single occupant vehicles.
So, it looks like it is true that motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes nationwide, with some exceptions. Beware that not all LEOs know about this, and some judges are not following the law either (see AMA article).

·
Registered
624 Posts
I really don't know, but I have been told by LEOs, and others ,that motorcycles are allowed in HOV lanes at all times. I do know that I have passed (and been passed by) both sheriff (Broward & Palm Beach counties) and FHP vehicles while riding in the HOV lane during restricted hours.

But then again, I see a lot of cars & pickups with only a driver in the HOV lane during restricted hours. Does that mean they just aren't enforcing it?

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
in washington HOV lanes are open to bikes...

have no clue about FLA...

i'd suggest to find a cop and ask

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hm, one thing I would like to ask is does this apply to a motorcyclist with a passenger or without? I never even thought about motorcycles in HOV lanes. Since he's asking about FLA and I live in that state, I feel that this would be some great knowledge for me to know so I can get out of that ticket if I'm ever riding in a HOV lane.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
But officer this is a high occupancy vehicle! Me, myself and I are on our way to......hmmm not going for it huh?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know Georgia allows bikes in the HOV lanes. We even have signs along that road that say Motorcycles and alternative fuel vehicles are allowed in the HOV lane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a patch holder in a south FL MC. All of us carry a copy of the letter that was sent to ALL the law enforcement personell stating that MC's are allowed to ride in the HOV lane with only one person. I ride in it everyday. If I can get my scanner to work I'll post the letter here

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
why would you want to ride on I-95 during rush hour anyway? you have a death wish?
i try to avoid I-95 at all times of the day or night. especially during the weekdays.
is it your commute?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've been checking around but so far no luck . so i thought i would come to those that know. In Florida can we legally ride in hov lanes without passengers. If so could someone cite the code reference for me.

thanks a lot

Fred
Motors are legal in all HOV lanes in all states and at all times, except when specifically prohibited. Federal law.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That person that got the ticket in New York City had their conviction overturned - there's an article in the latest AMA magazine. That doesn't mean that you won't get a ticket. Individual officers can do whatever they like, it's up to the courts to set things straight.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
That person that got the ticket in New York City had their conviction overturned - there's an article in the latest AMA magazine. That doesn't mean that you won't get a ticket. Individual officers can do whatever they like, it's up to the courts to set things straight.
The ticket may have been overturned due to lack of the city informing the public. I assure you no more tickets will be reversed. Its silly if you ask me, and it looks like its all because LEO dont want bikes in that lane for some reason, they havent specified yet. I guess i cant fight the law but I wish they would at least tell me WHY I cant do it when it looks like most of the rest of the USA can, it makes more sense in NYC and other high traffic areas in the country to let M/C use the HOV.....Lets go AMA!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts