Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Again Everyone,
Well, thanks to all of your responses to my last post....I have decided not to get the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R as my first bike. Man, what was I thinking?? You are all right, I need to start on a less powerful bike. So, I will be starting on a 600cc. I know it is still a powerful bike as well, but I am sure I will have more control on it. And I think it will be a fun bike to learn on. So anyway, the bikes I was deciding between was a 2005 Yamaha R6 and a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, because they are really the only two 600's that I really like from what I've seen and read. Anyway, I already know about the Yamaha R6 as my friend owns one, but I would like to know a little more info on the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. I would really love to hear from people who own one, or have had expirience on one, but any information is welcome. If you own one, how do you like it? Let me know how you feel about your bike. And if you just have info on it, thats great too! Any information will be greatly appriciated, just give me a shout!

~ Mel

P.S. Also, if anyone can give me a complete list of 600's, whether its Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, ect...that would be great! Even though these two bikes are what I am deciding between, I would still like to look into some more 600's just to be sure that there isn't something I would like more than my two choices to have as my first bike :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, what exactly are you looking for in a bike? If it's just looks you're really concerned about at this point, and you already know you love the way the R6 looks, then I'd say you're about done. The zx-6r is the most similar style off the top of my head. Now, if there are other factors you are concerned about, there are alot of options to choose from.

If you want, just describe your perfect 600cc bike, and I'm sure someone can come up with something that fits the bill.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Suzuki GSX r600
Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki SV650s

Honda CBR600rr
Honda CBR600F4i

If you are going to consider the R6 which by the way is an awesome bike you may want to consider the Ducati 748 as well. Although it is a 750 it has less horsepower then the R6, but is extremely well balanced. The downside is that maintenance costs tend to run higher then most bikes. If you want a ride and go bike get the R6.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is it you want to know?

Do I love my bike? Will you have to chop my fingers off to pry it out of my hands? Why yes, of course!

It's fast... I mean really freakin' fast. It's nimble. It corners like it's chained to a pole. One of the biggest advantages to a smaller bike like this is that there is less mass inertia, so it can react even more quickly to inputs than a bigger bike.

Of course, if you are looking for safer, most of that stuff doesn't really help your case. :)

But if you want to know if it's a great bike, then yes, it's a great bike.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well, if you want a list of the new 600s and ones of similar size....

Ducati 749S
Triumph Daytona
Honda CBR600RR
Kawasaki ZX-6RR
Kawasaki ZX-6R
Yamaha YZF-R6
Suzuki GSX-R600

I like the Kawasaki and the Honda the best as far as looks. My friend has a Honda CBR600RR. Its a pretty quick bike and like I said very nice looking. I just don't like the way that the R6's tail is squared off and straight. I like how the Kaw and Honda's tail swoop up in the back. The Kaw and the Honda also look way meaner too :). I've never been a fan of the wait the Suzuki's look. The single head light just looks ugly to me. I like my bike to look like it has a personality. I'll tell you right now that you won't be able to tell the difference in any of the 3 I've been talking about. I would take a good rider to realy know the difference in any of them or even the difference from the 6R to the 6RR.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I've taken a look at the bikes you guys have listed and still nothing appeals to me. The only other really cool looking one I see is the Honda CBR600RR, but I don't think I would want one. I have really been looking into the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, and now...I really think its the one I want. I like the Yamaha R6, but I just really have a thing for Kawasaki. I love the style. I want the Candy Plasma Blue ZX-6R. Yup. Come to think of it. Yes! I am getting the Kawasaki 6R!!!! It is just what I am looking for, since I did want the ZX-10R, and the ZX-6R looks very similar. And I've herd nothing but good about it. Ok guys, I have chosen my bike! Sorry, now I am all excited :grin: Thankyou all for helping me with my descision, escpecially in my last post. I am glad you all made me think, or I probably would have went out and got a ZX-10R and most likley killed myself. But anyway, thanks again everyone....I will be getting it this summer when the weather is better. Peace out everyone!

~ Mel

·
Registered
158 Posts
Keep in mind that the ZX-6R isn't really a 600. It's 636 cc's. As such keep that in mind especially when torque output is concerned.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
Keep in mind that the ZX-6R isn't really a 600. It's 636 cc's. As such keep that in mind especially when torque output is concerned.
The ZX-6R is 599cc. The ZX-6RR is 636 and that doesn't mean that its going to go any faster than the ZX-6R. The only real difference is the suspension being track ready.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know you have to take things with a grain of salt with magazine reviews but this is the most recent comparo I can get my hands on with 600cc class sport bikes. Numbers from Sport Rider August 2004 issue:

Dyno HP figures:
HP/ Torque
CBR600RR 107.2 @13,500/ [email protected],500
ZX-6RR [email protected],000/ [email protected],000
ZX-6R [email protected],750/ [email protected],000
GSX-R600 [email protected],250/ [email protected],000
YZF-R6 [email protected],000/ [email protected],500

Quarter Mile Times:

CBR600RR [email protected]
ZX-6RR [email protected]
ZX-6R [email protected]
GSX-R600 [email protected]
YZF-R6 [email protected]

Road Course Lap Times (Streets of Willow):

CBR600RR 1:24.87
ZX-6RR 1:24.20
ZX-6R 1:24.10
GSX-R600 1:24.19
YZF-R6 1:24.03

If it wasn't for the fact that the rules for engine displacement disqualifies the ZX-6R from competing in the various racing bodies Kawi currently competes in, the ZX-6RR probably wouldn't even be in existence today. But to me the numbers from the review speak for themselves.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not true ZX10 Guy!

In fact the only time the ZX-6R may outrun the ZX-6RR is on circuits with long straights, due to the extra 36CC. On normal road course circuits the ZX-6RR leaves the ZX-6R in the dust!!

From Sport Rider December 2004:

Best lap at Almeria Circuit in Southern Spain:

YZF-R6 1:47.90
ZX-6RR 1:48.20
GSX-R600 1:48.36
ZX-6R 1:48.53
CBR600RR 1:50.13

It's not all about horsepower, the ZX-6RR has a race tuned suspension, a slipper clutch and other enhancements that the ZX-6R doesn't hence the better numbers for the ZX-6RR on curvy circuits.

IMHO of course!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
ZX6RRNewbie,

Agreed. It's not all about horsepower. Just like in another recent comparo to annouce top honors for a street sport bike. The GSX-R750 was dusting a lot of other bikes to include most liter bikes on the road course times. It' had the best balance of power and suspension. But as far as the ZX-6RR is concerned, you hit the nail on the head about the suspension. It's race tuned. To deal with a suspension that has that trait as a street bike can pose problems with most riders. If you look at many of the reviews, the common complaint is that the suspension is just way too stiff for street use. Granted I don't own a RR nor have I ridden one yet. So all I can go on is what reviews say about the bike. I know about the detriments of having too stiff of a suspension. My 10 has a really really stiff rear shock setup. If I hit a bump, the bike literally toss me off the seat. This is a common complaint among other 10 owners too.

But as for the slipper clutch and such, the new 05 6R will have many of those enhancements too. So the gap is narrowing between what a 6R and a 6RR has in terms of features. Too bad Kawi didn't update the 05 ZX-10R to include a radial master cylinder. A lot of 10 owners are really ticked that Kawi didn't do that for the 05 10 and did it for the ZX-6s. Some of the 04 ZX-10R owners were hoping to be able to just order a stock replacement for their bikes rather than looking to companies like Brembo for one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ZX10 Guy!

I agree!! :)

The suspension is a little stiff on my ZX-6RR, but not enough that it would make a difference or be "detrimental" to a rider. I never heard anyone say that it's dangerous or anything like that. I believe it has to do more with comfort than anything else. I don't mind the stiff suspension! Would I pay more for a ZX-6RR than a ZX-6R. Maybe and maybe not. But I didn't have to make that decision I bought my ZX-6RR used and on a great deal. :)

As far as the ZX10R! I couldn't agree with you more! It looks like they started but didn't finish the ZX10R, rushed it to market and then they finished their ideas on the ZX6R! :mad:

Anyway just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm really pleased with my 2001 Ninja 6. It's comfortable, can be ridden fast or slow, has plenty of power and is nimble. As a new rider it's more than enough for me right now.

I like the 2005 ZX-6R too. I like the undertail exhaust and it comes with a slipper cluth and wavey brake discs as standard.

I will try different bikes over time though.

Check out MCN's Bike Review section for all sorts of information:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.bikes

And this might be useful resource too:
http://www.bikez.com/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's The one!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies!!!! I thought I would show you a pic of the exact Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R I want. It's in the color Candy Plasma Blue :grin: I love it!

http://www.kawasaki.com/flash/uploadFiles/zx636c_05_40494_800.jpg

Heck, I might not even want to go to a ZX-10R after I get this bike, who knows? A 600cc(or a 636cc :p ) may be all I want in a bike. Because it is still a powerful bike. And with me being a girl and all, that is probably all the power I am gonna need to be where I am still comfortable on my bike. Anyway, this is the one I want. I am still gonna go sit on one and make sure its comfortable for me. Thankyou all for helping me, I don't know what I would have done without you :wink:

~ Mel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

Thanks! :grin: I think its absolutley gorgeous! And I love the Candy Plasma Blue color!!!! I can't wait to get it! You know, I guess when I first started looking for a bike, I was looking at the "apperance", rather than the specs and everything. This is why I loved the ZX-10R so much. It looks absolutley VISCIOUS! I love that about it. But I kinda took the fact that it was a 1000cc and ignored it, which is actually one of the most important facts about the bike that should NOT have been ignored, and because I am looking for my FIRST bike, the ZX-10R is just too much power for me....even though it looks cool. Thanks to you all....I UNDERSTAND THAT NOW! :grin: I am so glad I decided to register to the boards, I think it was one of the smartest things I have done in a while. And now that I understand more about the bike, and not just the appearance, the ZX-6R is definently what I am looking for. And come to think of it, not only are the specs and everything great, but the ZX-6R looks just as VISCIOUS as the ZX-10R! So its a win win situation :p It just has less power, but hey....its not like I need all that power starting out, right? LOL. Anyway, thankyou all again for helping me out....I am so glad to be a new member of the boards, you guys are all awsome! Peace out, and ride safe!

~ Mel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts