Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to lower my former Suzi C50T 2.5" by changing the dog bones. Can something similar be done with the Nad? Doesn't have to be 2.5", but 1.5" - 2" would be nice. I liked the way the T handled after lowering and I also like the looks of a dragging-arse bagger.

I've dabbled in some threads and websites about the Progressive shocks, but have NO CLUE which one's would accomplish my goal. Just curious if anyone else with a Nad has done same and what you did.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Best,
Daryl:?:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think the use of the OEM 170/70-16 rear tire was used by the style boys to lower the look of the Nomad. I went with a 180/70-16 rear for replacement and do not scrape the floorboards like I use to. You could keep the OEM rear 170/70-16 size and use a lower profile front. Just a thought.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom E,

I don't know how to post a picture of the graph into a reply on a thread. I guess I could take a picture of it and post it in my photobucket???

But, the hp and ft.lbs. of torque numbers I stated above are taken directly off of the graph when the bike was dynoed.

Why, don't you believe me?

Cheers,
Daryl

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I bet that WOULD work, if....

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... if I had a laptop!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The Nomad stock shock is 13". You can put a 11" or 11.5",but it may have to be a 440 series Heavy duty as not to bottom out and I don't know how you would make out riding double.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Nomad stock shock is 13". You can put a 11" or 11.5",but it may have to be a 440 series Heavy duty as not to bottom out and I don't know how you would make out riding double.
I don't ride 2-up very often at all, and when my wife does ride with me, it's usually for VERY short rides (100 miles was her longest, and that was over a year ago) mostly superslab + easy highway roads.

FWIW, I tilt the scale at ~195lbs. With the wife, we weigh in at 325 total. Yep, she's only a buck thirty :) Do you think the Progressive 440HD shock could handle that w/o bottoming out?

Thanks,
Daryl

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just measured and the distance b/t the top of the rear tire and the underside of the rear fender is 5.75". So, I'm thinking a 2" drop using the 440HD shocks would work fine. Can anybody attest to or refute this???

DS

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You could keep the OEM rear 170/70-16 size and use a lower profile front. Just a thought.
That would have the opposite effect on handling that he liked about the other bike.

Lowering the rear (only) increases rake and trail, which increases steering stability... the Nad is known to want to "flop over" to full lock in parking lots.

To answer the question, replace the rear shocks with some Progressive HD's 1/2" to 1" shorter than stock.

Yes, the floorboards will get friendly with the pavement.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
FWIW, I tilt the scale at ~195lbs. With the wife, we weigh in at 325 total. Yep, she's only a buck thirty :) Do you think the Progressive 440HD shock could handle that w/o bottoming out?
One of the other members is a Progressive distributor, and he said that their tech guy recommends HD if you ride 2-up more than 50% of the time OR if the rider is 200+, so we're both right on the edge of needing HD solo.

Given that you'd be lowering, I would definitely go with the HD.

Worried about 325 total bottoming out? Here's a stock 1600 loaded to over 500 :biggrin: Yes, it bottoms out from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts