Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ready for The Next Level
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of ways to add power to my bike and I was told I could stroke the motor and have headers put on the engine. Now I know nothing about motors or stroking or any of that, so I am asking is this possible if so how? Also if there is anyone who has modified a Ninja 500R please post what you have done and how has it impacted your performance:mrgreen:

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
I think rather than pour money into a 500, most people just upgrade to a more powerful bike.
Even with the 12 and 14, when you stroke the engine, your power goes up, but your reliability goes down as you're really stressing the internals.
Selling the 500 and adding the money it would cost for the extensive engine work would probably more than pay for a good 600.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tend to agree. The twin 500 is a fantastic engine reliability wise, and you'd be spending a large amount of money for incremental gains and a reduction in reliability. You'd be dollars and miles ahead by looking for a factory engineered, more powerful engine.

·
Ready for The Next Level
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Power

If you had a way of comparing the power upgrade from Ninja 500R vs 600 how big of a difference is it? I have been really thinking of going to a cruiser because I prefer to ride long rides and I enjoy the comfort I have now, I am not sure if I got to a crotch rocket type of big I can ride as far as comfortable, your thoughts?

·
Registered
437 Posts
2 up? I'd go with a 900+CC. Concours, Bandit, FJ comes to mind.A ZX-10 or 11. Only smaller would be a VFR, and it is what? 800CC?

On a side note, a Goldwing will do 90% of what most motorcycles do, and 99% of what most people can do. They in a word, ROCK.

·
Registered
131 Posts
think of a bike like a horse. You don't try to make your horse go faster, as it pretty much is already as fast as it's going to be. If you want to go faster... you buy a faster horse!

If you want a lightweight bike that is as comfortable and easy to ride your choices will be limited. But the Ninja 650R is the next step up from the 500R and not too big a jump in power.
It will be a big jump in insurance rates, if you have the same company I do!

·
3rd Gear..WooHoo!!
121 Posts
For 2-up comfort on a budget, I doubt you can beat the old zx-11's. Besides, they're still Sweeeeet, even by today's standards.
If I'm never able to to afford a ZX-14 this is probably next on my list of dream bikes. I love the looks of this bike.

Gary

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
I was thinking of ways to add power to my bike and I was told I could stroke the motor and have headers put on the engine. Now I know nothing about motors or stroking or any of that, so I am asking is this possible if so how? Also if there is anyone who has modified a Ninja 500R please post what you have done and how has it impacted your performance:mrgreen:

you should add ,at least , two cylinders :tongue:

not simple :biggrin:

But I think you could put dyno stage 3 kit, modified air box and change the jets in the carbs.. have carbs or FI?

this would already be a good thing..

other circumstances (camshaft, ignition timing, increase of engine size) would be too expensive for changes.

ps, your bike in europe are called Gpz 500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.