1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike too dangerous for public roads: police
WebPosted May 28 2004 08:21 AM EDT

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nb_bikeseize20040527

SAINT JOHN — Crown prosecutors in Saint John are asking a judge to seize an expensive motorcycle because it was involved in a fatal accident.

On a warm day last August, Ryan Ellis borrowed the racing bike from a friend. After pulling some wild stunts on the highway, the young man crashed into another biker at a speed of 200 kms an hour, killing him.

Police say the accident proves the Suzuki GSXR 1000 is too dangerous for public roads.

But the owner, Craig Duguay, doesn't want to give it up. It's a souped-up model worth more than $11,000.

The owner's lawyer, David Kelly, says he's never heard of a prosecution like this before. "Judge McCarroll's never seen one of these before, and he's been at this longer than I have. No one's seen an application as unusual and unique as this one."

The Crown's application is so unusual, Judge William McCarroll agreed Thursday to give the defence lawyer more time to prepare.

Kelly says he thinks the police are trying to make an example of his client because he belongs to a local motorcycle club. "Not ####'s Angels or Odin's Wrath or anything like that, but a group of young individuals who seem to enjoy bike racing. As far as I can see the police may view this as a danger to the public."

Police have downloaded video from the club's website as evidence. It shows a young man on what appears to be the same bike pulling stunts on public roads. But Kelly says this kind of internet evidence is not firm enough for a court of law.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

geez :roll: i really doubt we are getting the whole story here
but in any event its the rider not the [email protected]!& bike-what's wrong with those morons-confiscate the bike? if it was involved in a fatality-he!! yes
throw the rider in jail if he's proven guilty-he!! yes

but to say the bikes too dangerous for the street?-just stoooooooopid :roll:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
If its the bikes fault, then my pencil must be to blame from my bad writing. "Hew era oyu?" "WHAT?!!" "sorry, my pencil sucks" :D that saying goes to gun control poeple as well.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Yuo guys need ghost rider to teach those cop a lesson :) . He set the world record for circling the vatican, 20 minutes, On public roads! Bike to blame......pffft.....stupid mamajamas.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
geez :roll: i really doubt we are getting the whole story here
but in any event its the rider not the [email protected]!& bike-what's wrong with those morons-confiscate the bike? if it was involved in a fatality-he!! yes
throw the rider in jail if he's proven guilty-he!! yes

but to say the bikes too dangerous for the street?-just stoooooooopid :roll:
It's just another case of the liberal left saying they know what's better for us than we do.

However, taking the bike away just becuze some stupid jerk killed himself on it is way way wrong.

It's like you loaning you're car to a friend who goes out get's drunk & then crashes it killing himself.

You will get you're car back, why not the motorcycle :( :( :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
You think a GSXR1000 is dangerous? Try a 5,000 lb SUV! You can really kill someone with that thing!

Personally I see no need for a motorcycle to have more than a 250cc engine (like my Ninja 250!), but that's my opinion, and I'd hate for my opinion to become your law. It's a free country after all.

There is a dangerous trend of the law and the media and the population moving away from personal responsibility. "It was the bike's fault." "It was the gun's fault." "It was society's fault." "It was my parent's fault."

When someone does wrong, someone always pays for it. I say it should be the person who did the wrong as much as possible.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BIKE

Until bikes...this is just to STUPID! We have Recreation Vehicles that are nothing but glorified busses with people driving them all over the place...and they speed...therefore they too must be taken off of public roads...C'mon...
The person that did the crime is dead...that's enough! Unless they want to take every motorcycle and every car off of the road...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
thats why you obey the law

he was speeding. nuff said. when your going 300kmph on a public road, dont expect to hit something and be able to buff it out. they wont be able to buff out the blood stains off the road after you hit. stupid people like that give us bike enthusiasts a bad name! :evil:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Canadian police want to seize GSXR1000: too dangerous fo

RampRat said:
Police say the accident proves the Suzuki GSXR 1000 is too dangerous for public roads.
That would be true if the motorcycle went out and did stupid stuff on it's own, with no rider. In this case though, I would probably blame the rider who hit and killed another rider.

That said, people like these who ride dangerously make all motorcyclists look bad. If you are racing and stunting on public roads in traffic, is it really an accident when somebody gets hurt? :eek:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ACCIDENT

WOuld the court look at it like..."If it wasn't on purpose, it was an accident?" We can't keep the drunks off of the road, we can't keep speding to a sane level...what we need is answers, like local tracks and perhaps using the existing tracks for novice and amateur use...promoting the sport/hobbie and not making it so expensive that the majority of us can't do anything but go out and break the law, even to blow the cobwebs out of our bieks or test the tuneup, or changes that we made to our bikes...we need tracks for this...AMA, or someorganization needs to set things up for psort bikes and not just the dirt bike, motocross, and dual sport bikes.....any ideas?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

wrong or not - in many places its the law if a vehicle is involved in an
accident with a fatality-if you don't confiscate it there is no possible way you can investigate the accident correctly-i did'nt say you couldn't get it back,
if you were hit by a vehicle with faulty brakes wouldn't you like to know it?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BIKE BACK

Yes it would be important to know if there is a mechanical defect. I was surprised to seee that Sport rider had such things to say about how lightweight things are and htat even a minor slip up could make a bike un rideable...june Sport rider... BTW ther are several Recalls on Kawasaki 1500'slisted in the back of Cycle World, July 2004...

NHTSA Recall No. 04V008
2003-04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500Classic,
2003-04 Vulcan 800 Clasic, 2004 Vulcan 800
Number of units involved 2082.
Problem: On certain motorcycles, the acceleraror-pump diaphrams may be damaged due to excessive assembly clamping pressure, which can allow fuel to leak from the pump's actuating-rod area. Fuel leakage in hte presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.
Remedy: Dealers will replace the acceleratorpump diaphram. Owners who do not receive this free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Kawasaki at 949-770-0400.

NHTSA Recall No. 04V023
2003-04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 2003 Velcan 1600
Numbers of units involved 6958
Dates of Manufacture: June'02-Feb.'03
Problem: On certain motorcycles High oil pressure upon cold start-up can deform the oil-filter cartridge, allowing oil to leak past the O-ring, possibly causing a loss of traction nd a crash.
Remedy: Dealers will replace the oil filter. Owners who do not receive this free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Kawasaki at 949-770-0400.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts