Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyboyd know what type of metal tube i need to fab my own hardtail? I've been told steel and also aluminum. I know it's not perfect to weld 2 different types of metal together. been diggin for the lats weke and can't find any info on the topic. Any suggestion would be great ?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd contact the metal supply places and go with their recommendations.I've purchased some steel plate from Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com for a small project that turned out good.

I'd think that where you are that metal supply places are available, what with Boeing, and Coleman in town (I used to be in the USAF based at McConnell AFB in the late 60's).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, i have a metal place. I just realy wanna know what metal my fram eis have a kzx750. My buddy who is building his said to just get steel tubing cuz it' stuff. Welding it isnt a big deal either. Im just worried about the impurities of stick to unlike metals together with the stress of riding. Thanx for the info

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
While not sure what exact steel is used in the frame of kz750, I would not suggest trying to weld aluminum and steel together.
Maybe a great welder, with some special rod/ wire can do it well, its far beyond a regualr welders level.
Its a million times beyond my level to do it well.
I weld a LOT in my shop, and I build frames and parts from steel, aluminum, and such, but I suck at trying to weld say a steel pipe to an aluminum one.
I have tried lots of times with scraps I have around, its usually a mess as the steel needs more juice, a different wire, and a different gas than aluminum does, for really good results..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totaly agree, I'm sur ei don't want to do different metals together. I am however trying to get this bike down for summer . There's pics down in the tech section. Thanx for the info guys. Ya'll knwo wher ei can get shop manual to download online for this 81 kaw kz750?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used to do ASME code, x-ray quality pipe and structural steel, and I'm not even sure it's possible to join aluminum and steel, since their processes are so different. Steel is usually done with a DC Positive machine, whereas aluminum is welded in AC mode. Most high-end race-car and custom frames are made from tig-welded chrome moly tubing.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I'd go with 4130 chrome moly. Good for gas or mig. Strong and has been used for years in aircraft and motor sports.

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
dom steel tubing to match your frames tubing diameter/thickness..(.120 ? )
it should be slugged internally also..

or a google search on slugging frames hardtail frames should help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts