Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 VN800. Sat for three years untouched. I did a carb rebuild and drilled our the air hole in the vacuum slide (YouTube users suggested for better air flow) and removed the baffles. Now. I can get the bike to start. But it sprays fuel out of the carb when I try to give a little throttle. Sometimes even flames. I tried a jet kit and went back to stock needle and as these minimize the extreme rich condition. Also the fuel/air mixture is set to about one turn out. Any more in it stalls. Any more out it's worse. I also deleted EPA valves. Any ideas what I can do to get this thing to run right? It's got about 6k miles and valves are all in spec and timing appears to be okay from the marks when checking valves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have an answer, I have an intermittent fuel leak on my 99 VN 800 classic. Worse after a hard run, or sometimes when the tank is over 3/4 full. Sometimes, no leak at all. Can it be dirt in the carb or tank after 20 years?
The drip is high between the cylinders & can only be seen with a flashlight. Grrr!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added a fuel shutoff on my line. Simple and cheap one off Amazon. After the bike is done for the day I shut it off. Sounds like you have a leak in a line somewhere. Maybe old fuel lines.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dynojet kit or???

Cobra/DJ works pretty good on these particularly with a set of Cobra pipes. The stock pipes, sound like crap no matter how much time you put into them or what you do, in comparison. I'd have left them alone, but that's too late now (obviously). Does your jet kit have instructions? That's one thing I like about the Cobra/DJ kit is that it has instructions on what to modify depending on what modifications are done to the motorcycle.

Also on the pipes, I don't care who tells you what, you WILL need a jet kit if you debaffle the stock exhaust; or if you even just use slip-on system. Always re-jet if there is any modification done to the intake or exhaust. I've had people argue with me and then the shop across town calls & says hey I rejetted dude's bike and it runs absolutely perfect now....this has happened hundreds of times over the last 3 decades. So just plan on rejetting, and if you use the DJ/Cobra kit, follow the instructions, do what it says, and put the airbox back together before you start/run the engine. A lot of times on these trying to run with the air cleaner housing open or off will result in an intake backfire which can/will damage the intake manifold (rubber) and/or blow the carb out of the manifold boot. That's happened on mine a few times before I sold it.

Secondly, they WILL spit out of the carb with the airbox off, period. This is normal. They'll also blow fire out. The airbox MUST be installed for them to run properly, every single part of the air cleaner system needs to be installed, THEN see how it runs. A little rich is normal on these. They have to be by design. Plug fouling is just part of owning a Vulcan 800, and it's way worse if you make short trips or you're just starting the engine to let it run a little then turning it off. The plugs never get hot enough to burn off the carbon and they just foul. That is normal even on a bone stock VN800.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from my point of view it's looks like you have maybe make some mystake with rejeting the carb. First of all i will checked the properly mounting of the carburator. Must be carefull if you rotate the carburator without jet some particle can fall out ! Always if i change the jet i rotate the carb on the back and then change the jet. And please check the cable of throttle if is going properly

The fuel leak can be caused by bad petcock ( there is vacuum ventil which is opening the petcock if there is vacuum = motor is runing) you can easy test it. Rotate the petcock to the ON position and unplug the fuel hoses (when motor is stopped) you can not see any fuel leak after unpluging. if you make vakuum on the fuel petcock (by mounth is it enough) the petcock is open and the fuel go.
If this is not functioning properly, fuel is going true petcock and stopping only by lever needle on the float bowl in carburator (only this stop the fuel) - if there is some leak between the float bowl needle and the seat for needle the fuel can leak from carburator to the intake (beter way) or inside the cylinders! (worse and dangerous)

like in post above, always if you change whatever in intake or exhaust always is necessary to make change on carburator for properly function

1 - 5 of 5 Posts