Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1980 kz750H1 four. I replaced the carb holders on the manifold about 2 years ago. They are already cracking near the base plates. The carbs also ahve never seemed to stay in the holders, they keep backing out and if I try and tighten the band clamps it just makes it worse. It seems like the weight of the carb assembly pulls the carbs down so they keep backing out. Once they back out enought there is spitback/popping at the juntion of the carb and boot. I loosen all the clamps and push the carbs in but they do the same thing once I try and tighten everything up.
Does anyone have a good way to remedy this. I will have to replace the carb holders since they are cracking but is there a way to support the weight of the carbs so it does not put all the load on the carb holders.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I actually have the original set up with airbox and boots intact. Was there originally a support for the carbs? Because there was not one when i pruchased the bike. When I work the carbs in all the way it seems the weight makes them sag downward which makes them back out of the manifold boots.
Thanks.

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I'm not sure if the GPZ is the same as my KZ1000, but if you look at the back/sides on your airbox, see if there are any slots with tabs that hold the airbox forward. If the airbox isn't held into place (the bolts were missing on mine but the tabs were still there in the airbox) then everything could 'fall' backward due to the weight of the carbs. That would allow what you're talking about.

The PO of my bike even said that occasionally he would get a popping and he'd have to do what you do and put the carbs back in. It was one of those 'finicky things these bikes do'. I just bought 20 cents worth of bolts and solved the problem. Hopefully yours is similar.

I just looked at a pic at Babbittonline.com and it showed 2 tabs on the back that would hold your airbox in place. Probably a good bet they're gone.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I actually have the original set up with airbox and boots intact. Was there originally a support for the carbs? Because there was not one when i pruchased the bike. When I work the carbs in all the way it seems the weight makes them sag downward which makes them back out of the manifold boots.
Thanks.
The carbs are supported by the carb holders in the front and the boots and airbox in the rear. The airbox must be fastened to the frame with the the molded tabs. If your running pods, they can be supported using a piece of 1/8 or 5/32 stainless steel wire bent to support the lower radius of either interior carb and clamped to the frame above. Get creative or go back to the airbox. Chrome coat hangers found in motel rooms work very well!:wink:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
When installing the carbs, push them into the intake manifolds until the raised rim inside the manifold fits into the grove in the carb, then tighten the clamps. Next, turn the airbox boots so the offset is positioned correctly for them to mate up to the carbs. It sounds like you may have your airbox boots turned 180 out or something so the offset angle is wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.