Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i'm new to this site, and reltively new to bikes.

this is my first bike and i've been having serious issues with it running.

it a 85 gpz 550 with tk carbs, not mikuni's like my buddies 82 kz1100 has..

here's what it's doing, i can get it to start, but it has to be choked, and even after its warm i can't get it to idle or be able to put the choke in, cause it'll die. also, when its running if you crack the throttle, it bogs bad to the point it'll die.

when i got the bike, none of the fuel lines were hooked up and there is two ports between the carbs that i have no idea what they are for, so if someone could help me out, i'd be great.

i would be greatful for any help i could get, i'm really looking forward to getting it running right, and being able to ride!

thanks

Josh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's the thing, i've cleaned the carbs more than once, just with carb clean though, anything you suggest for cleaning them?

and for the purpose of just getting it running, will it be ok to just leave the airbox off?

also, from where to where do i measure my float height?

cause the guy i got it from is a yahoo and i wanna make sure everything is right.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
you missed the pilot jets , it sits in front of main jets down inside hole-straight screw driver head, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. i actually ground down my screwdriver to fit in that hole/jet perfect. if its stubborn hit it with some PB BLASTER and let it sit for a minute or two then try again. get a set of welding torch tip cleaners and use the smallest one to clean the jet out. (i soak mine in B12 chemtool then run the needle thru it) you can also use a strand of speaker wire but the tool works awesome (you can get it a LOWES) they look like this...........

Welders Direct: Tip Cleaner Sets

its kinda difficult to explain over the net but ya want all your floats set the same height and you want to make sure all the needle/seats are sealing like they are supposed to. i actually blow thru the fuel inlet and turn the carbs till they all seal (45* angle)
you really need to pull the carbs down and soak them (just all the jets etc.. not the complete carb set) then use CRC carb cleaner and compressed air , theres alot to doing a carb set correctly and i cant tell ya everything here. just get a manual and follow it.
good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

i'll try that tonight and tell you what i find
i appreceate the help a whole lot!

thanks

josh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, that got it running and idling fine, it is still a little hesitant, which i'm assuming will go away when i get the airbox back on.

thanks for all the help, you have no idea how nice it was to hear it run good and not like crap.

josh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, so here's the update....

i took it out and rode it a little yesterday (around the neighborhood) and here's what's happening.

it accelerates good, but once i hit about 6000 rpm, it won't run any higher its almost like its just out of fuel or is on a rev limiter. could it be the floats not letting the carbs get enough fuel?

help me out, i'm dying to get it running right.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
alright, so here's the update....

i took it out and rode it a little yesterday (around the neighborhood) and here's what's happening.

it accelerates good, but once i hit about 6000 rpm, it won't run any higher its almost like its just out of fuel or is on a rev limiter. could it be the floats not letting the carbs get enough fuel?

help me out, i'm dying to get it running right.
That sounds like a problem with the main jet system.

Measuring the flaotn height: you stick a clear tube in the drain hole and hold it up alongside the carb bowl. The level of fuel in the tube matches the level in the bowl. On mine, it's supposed to be 5.5mm below the lowesr edge of the upper half of the carburetor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm planning on getting some work in on it this weekend.

i'm gonna pull the carbs and clean them good again, then setting the float height, i've gotta get a few drain screws, mine are all f****d up.

then i'll see what that does, i've been planning on going through and adjusting the valves, so i'll do that too.

i do have the stock airbox and filters, no filter pods (i'm too cheap)

my charging system is working fine.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts