Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..Right now I have a temporary filter on each carb and the carbs are only attached to the motor manifold by hose clamps , but can't manage to keep the carb from popping out...the air box connections usually hold one end up while the engine attaches to the other side of the carbs, holding that side up...I took off the air box side and now have a free 'falling' side in order to install the individual filters....can't figure out how to keep the carb from popping out with that style of air filters/intake?..... Its' a 97 kz1000 and has 4 carbs...and aftermarket air intakes to each individual carb...sorry for the trouble, but that's the best i can do at explaining it..basically one side of the carbs is attached to the engine with giant hose clamps, while the other side isn't stabilized at all... the weight of the carbs keep it from staying in place...anyone have any solutions or similar experiences?...thanks for the ideas...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
You will have to make a bracket or support for the carbs tied to the frame somehow, otherwise the weight of the filters/pods will pull them off.

When your bike came from the factory, it had an air filter housing along with ducting(rubber boots) that pretty well held the carbs in place, now you're finding out that more support is needed.

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks MFolks... My bike will be working soon thanks to your help...What's your opinion on individual air intakes/filters? are there any negatives?...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The popular type is the K & N oil coated fabric one, another is a foam type.
Myself, I use a K & N replacement air filter for the factory supplied paper filter on my old 82 GPz1100 B2 model.

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link and ideas...when i had trouble putting the carb back on because of the tough fit, i thought i was the first person to think of individual intake/filters for each carb and my bike would be the coolest bike around...then i saw that they already have them online...oh well...when I fabricate my part, i'll send you a pic and explanation..thanks again...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The cushioned cable clamps will absorb vibration and not damage the paint on the frame tubes.

I'm thinking maybe flat pieces of Aluminum, say 3/16" thick should provide enough strength for the vertical pieces. The Ace Hardware Stores sell pre-cut K&S Aluminum pieces back in their hardware/fastener section.

·
Bigslow77
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elr658, are you saying it's a bad idea? what's the $800 solution?? not that i'm interested in wasting $800...just wanted to know what, if anything, went wrong...

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Check your other thread, I've stated some of the "went wrong" things. :lol: The $800 solution would be to switch to a different type carb like VM29 Smoothbores, for one. You have CV carbs, and trying to get them and pod filters to work well with each other is like trying to get vinegar and oil to mix. You can shake things up and it may appear to do the job, but just give it a few minutes and they each go their own separate way.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Take a zip tie...

and make a loop between your carb bracket and an upper frame tube. It will take the weight off the carb boots.......been doing that for years....chris3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts