Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, more or less all my motobike's carbs quite often leak so that to stop leaking I have to hit the bowl with the bottom of a screwdriver.
I've learnt from climer that probably there is some dirty inside the bowls, so that I would like to clean them without disassemble the carbs (just because I'm not able to ).
I have some ideas but I don't want to cause some disaster so please give a hint.
1)Spray some carb cleaner inside the hole of the drain plug.
2)Fill the tank with some injector cleaner ( may be STP..,) at 50% cleaner 50% gasoline then let the mix to fill the bowl and leave it fore some days. Finally drain out the mixture.
3)To spray the carb cleaner in the throat of the carb .

Plaese give me some suggestions :redface: .
Many thanks Fab

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
If tapping the bowl with a screwdriver stops the leak, then your float is probably sticking....you may want to try a product like Seafoam to see if it cleans it up for you. Personally, I wouldn't use those spray cleaners...they could mess up any rubber seals you may have....

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
if it's the Z1R, has it been sitting for a while? may have to pull the carbs off to make sure the floats don't have any fuel in them and check the float valves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very easy fix. My Z1R leaked fuel as well.

Loosen all 4 carb mounting rings that hold carbs to cylinders, then pull back slowly until all 4 carbs are remove from heads (wiggle them up and down slowly as you pull back) pull carbs as a set out to one side to work on them, then only remove the fuel bowls from each carb 4 screws each, then clean floats with carb cleaner, go to auto parts store and get gasket material sheet like a 12"x12" then grey cardboard style and place one of the carb float bowl gaskets on it trace it out with a pen or pencil and cut it out make 4 of them, then replace the bottom float bowl drain hole with round gasket or o-ring with a new one (use o-ring same size), then place back the same way you removed the carbs to the engine and you should have no leaks and better power.:p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Dawson ! Also your hint is really appreciated.
As a first attempt i think that I will try with Seafoam cleaner and then if is still leaking i will pull out the carbs an do what you suggests.

Thanks very much to all of you.

Fab.:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts