Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my '82 kz1000p one of my carbs is leaking fuel out of the fuel bowl drain nipple and screw... I talked to z1 enterprises about it and they said it's probably a broken or missing O-ring for the screw... does anyone know where I can get replacement O-rings and or drain screws? Or could the leak be caused by a stuck float as a local bike guy I know told me? I was thinking if that was it than the fuel would only be coming out of the nipple and not the screw... but on mine it's both. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
on my '82 kz1000p one of my carbs is leaking fuel out of the fuel bowl drain nipple and screw... I talked to z1 enterprises about it and they said it's probably a broken or missing O-ring for the screw... does anyone know where I can get replacement O-rings and or drain screws? Or could the leak be caused by a stuck float as a local bike guy I know told me? I was thinking if that was it than the fuel would only be coming out of the nipple and not the screw... but on mine it's both. Thanks.
A fairly sure a leaking, float valve would cause gas to leak out of the throttle bore.....down into the engine and / or the airbox. I agree with the fellow at Z1.....it sounds like a problem with the float bowl, drain screw, or the o-ring that seals the screw. Didn't he know where you could get replacements?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He suggested I go to a local O-ring shop (Never seen one...) or some other specialty store for some. He said I need to be careful to get one which can resist gas (duh), I was wandering if conventional rubber would be fine... Ace Hardware? I don't know if they would have anything that small and thin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you try the dealer? There is a good chance it is common o-ring that is still be used in current bikes. I would replace all 4.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked Bike Bandit and they have it.... $6.04 EACH, the drain screws are $6.53 each.... $50.28 for 4 of each... I wounder if a carb kit would include one? I need the o-ring more than the screw but my screw heads are in bad shape, can't hardly turn theme with a screwdriver.

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
I'm confused that it be leaking past that O ring. When the needle is seated (closed) the needle should be closing off the drain port of the bowl. The O ring is used mainly for sealing up behind the needle when it loosened to drain the bowl. The O ring just keeps gas from seeping back thru the threads when it is backed out. Aint I right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
He suggested I go to a local O-ring shop (Never seen one...) or some other specialty store for some. He said I need to be careful to get one which can resist gas (duh), I was wandering if conventional rubber would be fine... Ace Hardware? I don't know if they would have anything that small and thin.
Common, o-ring rubbers don't work very well around gasoline. They swell and dissolve. You'll need something made out of Viton, or some similarly inert compound. I would replace the screw and o-ring of the problem bowl and leave it at that.

With that said, you might simply have some crud stuck in there and the debris is not allowing the screw to seat, or the o-ring to seal. Have you tried taking the screw completely out and very carefully letting some gas flush out the passage? That would allow you to determine if you have an o-ring, at least.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
None of the kits i've ever used included that one but some kits are different so it might come with it. My guess is that it won't have them though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to tair into theme yesterday and sofar it looks to be as simples my fuel lines... I was thinking it was the carbs because thats where I saw it flowing from the most but I guess it started with the lines and just dripped on the carbs and went from there. thank you everyone for the input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts