Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ever on a forum....be gentle. I just bought an 88 ninja 600r froma buddy who left it in his dads hanger for 4 years. carb is leaking fuel. I have cleaned all the lines and cleaned the entire carb except the choke assembly. fuel still leaks from what appears to be carb 3 for sure and maybe 4.
Bike will run will full choke but at about 4000 rpm and dies when the choke is moved.
Should I rebuild the carbs? also fuel continues to leak long long after i turn the fuel to the off position.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
grdutchie said:
1. First time ever on a forum....be gentle.

2. I just bought an 88 ninja 600r froma buddy who left it in his dads hanger for 4 years. carb is leaking fuel.

3. I have cleaned all the lines and cleaned the entire carb except the choke assembly. fuel still leaks from what appears to be carb 3 for sure and maybe 4.

4. Bike will run will full choke but at about 4000 rpm and dies when the choke is moved.

5. Should I rebuild the carbs? also fuel continues to leak long long after i turn the fuel to the off position.
1. welcome to the board. good board so far from what ive seen. :wink:

2. decent bike. will bring ya joy if we can fix it for ya.

3. you should prob. REPLACE the fuel lines to be exact. also did you inspect the NEEDLE/SEAT in the carbs ? did you check float height ? do you have a manual ? you need to figure out EXACTLY where its leaking fuel from, carb bowls, over flow lines ??? how does the tank look inside ? rusty or clean ? im betting rusty so you need to pull the tank and clean it out with an acid solution (yamaha sells one, KREEM is another brand, bike shops will carry these for you) you should also prob. pull the petcock and clean the small filter attached to the top of it. the small screens may be clogged. thats also prob. a vacumn petcock and may not get enough vacumn to pull it open. the diaphram may be old/stiff/hard and not open enough to let enough fuel thru. might have a small hole in the rubber line going to the petcock. now do you see why you need a manual ? :wink:

4. sounds like the PILOT JETS are still clogged. get the bike started,kick the choke off and just keep blipping the throttle to keep it running and see if all pipes get hot (spray with water) , if all the pipes dont get hot then the pilot jets are still clogged. i would just pull the carbs again and make sure you cleaned all the jets well enough. i can send you a pic of the jets im talking about if you need. [email protected]
you will need to pull them out and push a small piece of wire thru them.

5. after sitting that long i would check the diaphrams in the top of the carbs and make sure they are still rubbery/flexible and not ripped/hard.
i would pull all the jets out and make sure they are clean. the fuel coming out points at a couple possibilities to me. one-the petcock is screwed up and not stopping flow OR two-the needle/seats are junk and wont stop the flow IN the carb, three-the floats are history and not floating correctly and stopping the fuel.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a quick reply thank you very much. He did give me Clymers manuel for 85-87 600r. Mine is the 88 and is very similar except that the frame is different.(Steel) The jets did have a greenish residue on them before I cleaned them, but I'm fairly certain they are clean now.
The tank and petcock are good possibilities as well as the fuel lines. I'll clean and replace those. Also the rubber diaphram on top of each carb was still flexible and free of holes or cracks. Im gonna try and complete the above today. Ill let you know how it goes, again thank you very much for your help. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the bike won't idle, the pilot jets are almost always the cause on bikes that have sat and are commonly overlooked in cleaning because they sit down in a tube beside the main jet. Go back through the carbs with the manual at hand and be sure you clean them. QKENUF4U definately knows motorcycle service so all his info agrees with what I've learned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both very much. I plan on going out today and getting four rebuild kits, some new fuel lines, and I am going to drain the tank and check the petcock for debris. I really appreciate both of your help. Also while I have it apart I'll recheck the pilot jets.
I'll let you both know how it goes after. Hopefully I'll be riding next week some time....Thanks again!

·
Registered
741 Posts
While you're at it you might want to replace the float valves & seats as a unit. Very often when a carb sits over time full of fuel it turns to varnish and the float valve is stuck, allowing fuel to continue to enter the bowl and out the overflow tube. In fact, if I were doing it I'd do all the above checks and also replace the float valve units before buying complete rebuild kits unless money is no object. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts