Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1990 Kawasaki ZR550 with 63K miles for restoration/repair.
Trying to learn about some of the parts that need attention.
The Service Manual talks about a 'Starter Plunger' as related to the carbs. However, it does not show an arrow on the drawings to indicate were the part is located on the carbs.
Can someone help me identify this part on my carbs. Is it part of the choke?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Yes the starter plunger is part of the "choke" but the choke is actually a starter/starting fuel circuit.
The starter fuel circuit is an enrichener which allows for the uptake of extra fuel when starting a cold engine.

Kawasaki dot com & Partzilla have parts diagrams, but Partzilla is easier to use.
Find your motorcycle in the OEM section. The starter plunger is in the Carburetor parts diagram.

ps: a traditional choke will choke off some of the air to enrichen the fuel/air, so technically it isn't a choke, but the term is still used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes the starter plunger is part of the "choke" but the choke is actually a starter/starting fuel circuit.
The starter fuel circuit is an enrichener which allows for the uptake of extra fuel when starting a cold engine.

Kawasaki dot com & Partzilla have parts diagrams, but Partzilla is easier to use.
Find your motorcycle in the OEM section. The starter plunger is in the Carburetor parts diagram.

ps: a traditional choke will choke off some of the air to enrichen the fuel/air, so technically it isn't a choke, but the term is still used.
Can you point out the 'Starter Plunger' on this Partzilla diagram?
(1990 KAWASAKI ZR550 B1)
IMAGE DID NOT LOAD.(?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I do not know why it will not show the image.
I inserted the image link.

Right click the above image icon to see the image in another tab/window.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts