Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay question #37.... :p
Got the carbs off, cleaning up the float bowls one by one. I have carb #1, and carb #4 whose pins that hold the floats in place that will not come out. Well, #1 won't budge, and #4 I don't want to touch. #4 was broken at one time, and whoever did the carbs last time just "glued" the U shaped body that holds the pin, back together. No joke, it is a rubbery based glue that is holding pin and that piece together. And not suprisingly, that float bowl has more crud than the other three. I don't have the expertise to separate these carbs, so do I put #4's bowl and jets back in after cleaning and leave that one alone?
It ran fine before all this started moving through after sitting a year....... I'm just sick about this latest issue.... But like I said, it had been running for 3 years prior to sitting, and made two trips from MI to FL without incident.

Whatcha think guys?
I'll send ya each a fifth of Berryman's carb cleaner to enjoy on top of your english muffins, some Mobil oil to pour on your pancakes and some S.O.S. pads to scrub with in the shower.... (For raised eyebrows on this one, consult the thread "Gentlemen Only".... Yes, us women peek just like you men do! LOL )
Thanks again for all your help.....
Chromequeen :wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pins and needles-needles and pins

Hi Queen
If the broken piece you speak of has been glued, then I would suspect that you could reglue it. this time not with a soft stringy glue but with an epoxy cement that is impervious to oil and fuel as most epoxies are for a permanent fix. If you can remove the broken piece, clean up both contact points and epoxy it back together, it would be that much more secure and probably permenant. Clean the mating points well with acetone to get all the other glue out of the pores of the metal. Try to keep the hole for the pin clear of epoxy but if you get some there, just use a small drill bit and carefully hand dril the hole to fit the pin. It beats buying a new housing. Try not to use the 5 minuet epoxies. The ones that take 24 hours to cure are actually stronger in the long run. dont over glue it. Just enough to secure both mating surfaces and maybe coat the outside of the pieces in question.

·
Super Moderator
10,924 Posts
Ditto on the epoxy info. Also: after cleaning with acetone clean it with alcohol. The two in succession is unbeatable cleaning. Before gluing, make sure the surfaces are scuffed up a little, like a wire brush or coarse sandpaper- more surface area is more adhesion and to remove an oxide layer, particularly on aluminum. Don't forget to clean again after scuffing. If you have a local welding supply house, check to see if they carry drill bit type torch tip cleaners. These are small drill bits that come with a clamping device so you can twirl them in your fingers to drill a hole. Even if the hole will be too small, you have excellent control to make a straight pilot hole to guide a larger drill bit. Very good for detailed metal or circuit board work. Good Luck!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Trial by fire :roll: Girl!!!!! NEVER be afraid to ask questions.....thats how we get smarter!!!!!

Don't give up and keep working at it....

Heather

1 - 4 of 4 Posts