Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2004 mule 550 and the carb is acting up. Put new plug in and in a few min. it is fouled up and running rough. I know the carb is the problem but need to know how to adjust and or what parts I would need to replace it seems to be running rich. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cleaned up the carb but need to know how to adjust the carb so it does not run rich. Old Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Carbs don't adjust themselves, but develop fault's, ie. float not shutting off the fuel when the chamber is full,a very commom fault.
If you have ,what looks like an adjusting screw sticking out horizontally from the bottom of the float chamber,then you can attach a bit of clear plastic pipe ( about 150 mm )to the stub sticking down behind it, and tie wrap it up to the carb body then with the fuel on,open out the screw ,this will allow petrol to flow up the pipe and show you the fuel level,it should be about 10mm below the float chamber gasket line .If it's above the gasket level,you will need to ,very gently bend the tab that contacts the float needle up to shut the flow off at a lower level ( providing that the fault is not dirt on the float needle seat ). then check the level with the tube.
To save a lot of mucking about ,I take off the fuel tank ,sit it on a box at the back of my work bench,and gently hold the carb in the vice,then connect the fuel pipe to check level. It's all a bit trial and error,but it has worked for my troublesome KLF300 carb.
hope that makes sense
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carbs don't adjust themselves, but develop fault's, ie. float not shutting off the fuel when the chamber is full,a very commom fault.
If you have ,what looks like an adjusting screw sticking out horizontally from the bottom of the float chamber,then you can attach a bit of clear plastic pipe ( about 150 mm )to the stub sticking down behind it, and tie wrap it up to the carb body then with the fuel on,open out the screw ,this will allow petrol to flow up the pipe and show you the fuel level,it should be about 10mm below the float chamber gasket line .If it's above the gasket level,you will need to ,very gently bend the tab that contacts the float needle up to shut the flow off at a lower level ( providing that the fault is not dirt on the float needle seat ). then check the level with the tube.
To save a lot of mucking about ,I take off the fuel tank ,sit it on a box at the back of my work bench,and gently hold the carb in the vice,then connect the fuel pipe to check level. It's all a bit trial and error,but it has worked for my troublesome KLF300 carb.
hope that makes sense
Lee
Lee, Is there a air supply valve that could be adjusted? I noticed that there was a valve with some kind of plastic cap on it to prevent it from going to far in either direction would this be the valve to adjust. It is the only one on the carb on the outside that I can see. OLD Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pilot air adjuster is under the carb,between the float chamber and the cylinder , screwing the adjuster out will weaken tickover,and to a very small extent first bit of throttle opening,before the slide cutaway takes over .
But that adjustment is meant for dialling in tickover when something has changed,ie. altitude,new air filter or exhaust,and not for masking a fault.
If the valve you have spotted is on the float chamber,then it is for checking float level/ draining the chamber.
Hope you don't think i'm preaching ,but check that the float is working properly,before doing anything else.
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My pilot air adjuster is under the carb,between the float chamber and the cylinder , screwing the adjuster out will weaken tickover,and to a very small extent first bit of throttle opening,before the slide cutaway takes over .
But that adjustment is meant for dialling in tickover when something has changed,ie. altitude,new air filter or exhaust,and not for masking a fault.
If the valve you have spotted is on the float chamber,then it is for checking float level/ draining the chamber.
Hope you don't think i'm preaching ,but check that the float is working properly,before doing anything else.
Lee
Lee, Thanks I will try that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts