Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I just bought a '73 900 Z1. It cranks and turns over but won't keep running, I'm sure the carbs just need a good cleaning or maybe rebuilt, that's all good. The question is, and it may be a dumb one but hey I'm no mechanic, there is a fuel line coming out the bottom of each of the 4 carbs and just hanging off the side of the motor going to nothing. They are each about 18" long. should these be going to something or are they just overflows or something? The guy I got it from said that the last time he ran it, which was about a year ago, that it leaked gas from those fuel lines, does that tell me anything?

Oh, another thing, does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a wiring diagram for this bike?

thanks for any help.

EDIT: I just noticed the mechanics forum, that would probably be a better place for this thread, so if you want to move it, by all means go for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
needle

hey man, not a dumb question. you are exactly right, they are over flows. inside your float bowl you have the float which raises the needle. when the float bowl is fuel that needle should seat on the 'seat'. if not the bowl just keeps filling with fuel. to keep your bottom end of your motor from filling up there is a certain level inside the bowl that will just run right out of those hoses. You need to replace your needle/seat. if you go to the bike shop and ask for needle and seat they will know what you mean. the end of the needle is actually rubber. when they sit they get hard and dont seal well. im not sure how the seat comes out on your carbs. may ask a mechanic at the shop closest to you.

good luck

matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
carb kits

JEBarber, I recently purchased rebuild kits for my 74 Z1.
The dealer needed the number off the frame to get the correct kits.
My engine and frame serial numbers match so I had no issues. Check your engine and frame numbers to verify they match.
The kits to do all 4 carbs cost me something like about $85.00
Now for the bad portion of this is that the float level had to be adjusted as the new needles were a slightly different design than the old. If you don't adjust after installing the new parts the fuel level will be way to low.
If adjusting the level sounds difficult just ask as it is quite easy to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered some rebuilt kits too. I think the only reason for needing the frame number is that the gasket is slightly differant. at the site I ordered them from I noticed that if you just ordered the gasket there were two to choose from based on the frame number, but from the looks of it when you order the rebuild kit it incudes both gaskets. I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple days when the arive.
Yeah I may have some questions if I need to adjust the floats, but from what I could tell it's just a matter of bending the little tab on the float arm (or whatever you wanna call it).

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Ok, point made...Can someone explain why that thread came up? Why doesn't "FireRanger 18's" post show up in the Petcock thread below? WTF is going on around here??? I got SPAM popping up, who's responsible for this format change? This is BULLSHET! Color me GONE! Siafuckingnara!

·
Queasy Rider
2,063 Posts
There are definitely glitches in this new format. I hope you give them a chance to fix them before you go away forever. I'd miss your grouchiness. Come back after you get tired of chasing them kids off your lawn. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok, point made...Can someone explain why that thread came up? Why doesn't "FireRanger 18's" post show up in the Petcock thread below? WTF is going on around here??? I got SPAM popping up, who's responsible for this format change? This is BULLSHET! Color me GONE! Siafuckingnara!
Since the format change nothing works lol.

Links take you to random other threads, posts aren't in order (Zoro yours is on the first page, followed by posts from 5 years ago on the next!)

Whoever did this update really mucked it up TBPH

·
Queasy Rider
2,063 Posts
The glitches are getting frustrating. When I want to open the second page of this thread I keep getting redirected to a thread in "mechanic's corner". Chasing kids off my lawn is way better than this. I personally liked the simplicity and user friendliness of the old format. It's why I preferred this forum over others. Oh well, all good things must come to an end.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I've experienced the same thing --- the new website software is kinda glitchy. The site administrators are aware of the problem. You could just send someone a private message.

This doesn't always work, but in some cases one way around the glitch is to click Home in the upper left, then scroll down to see if the topic is in the list of Most Popular Discussions. There isn't a Carb Question topic in the list at the moment, but there are two listed on the right in Recent Discussions --- unfortunately, they both bring you back to this topic. doh.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
"If it aint broke dont fix it!!!" I think Beartooth sold us out...Sign of the times I suppose. And them aint kids on the lawn, them are Zombies!!! We're under attack! "Every man for himself!" I say blow this cracker factory and start our own forum via Facebook...****, everybody else is doing it...Thats where you'll find me 90% of the time...~Ghostrider~ "Locked and loaded!" :mrgreen: PS. It's an obvious conspiracy! Probably a virus planted by Hardley Davidson...

·
Queasy Rider
2,063 Posts
This site is completely f#&%ed.
Personally I won't join Facebook or other mega-popular sites. I have a real problem with big brother knowing more about me than I do. I was on Facebook for a short while some years ago and among other things, Facebook took to posting some of my other online activities on my Facebook page without asking me. It was real spooky because they would post things from other sites that they should not have had access to. When I tried to complain to an administrator it would have been easier to get to the Wizard of Oz. Luckily, the Canadian privacy commissioner (no longer there) had launched a lawsuit against Facebook over privacy issues so I was able to get my account "deleted" after a three week effort on my part. (I still don't believe that it is completely deleted from the face of the earth)

If they don't scrap this piece of crap and go back to the old format, I'm gonna' miss you guys.

·
Registered
653 Posts
------------------------------- yeah!! Im clicking on posts and getting completely different ones coming up!! A clusterf--k so far with the new format:evil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts