Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if they have complete kits for rebuilding the carbs on a 1982 KZ750 CSR? I will be attempting my first teardown (cleaning) of motorcycle carb(s), anything I should be aware/concerned of? ;-)

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Ask QKENUF4U he would know the answer to that question. I would remove the carbs without seperating them first and look and see what kind of shape they are in. They may only need to be cleaned.

If you don't have a service manual, you should get one before you begin the work. It will help alot.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Heather

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hey
you could check with www.denniskirk.com since they seem to carry lots of older parts (they had points for my 1972 3cylinder 2-stroke triple 350) like KYHICK1 said they may just need cleaned. (thanks for the compliment KYHICK1)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the carbs apart today. Very clean! I was suprised, with the way the bike has been running I expected the carbs to be filthy. I did pull out all the parts and clean them anyway. I did find that the vaccum piston(s) are not working correctly and the butterfly valves were not synched correctly. I visually/manually adjusted the butterfly valves and fixed the vaccum pistons. (The jets looked very good)

Anyone know how many turns out the pilot screw is supposed to be set at? I put it back to where it was (2 complete turns out), but the bike wasn't running at it's best at that setting so I am unsure where to set it at. The manual doesn't say how many turns out to set it at.

I am going to put it back into the bike tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. ;-)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1. get a CARB SYNCH tool and do the synch correctly. by eye is not good enough and may actually make things worse.
2. the pilot screw only needs to be turned out enough that the RPM's dont HANG when you rev the bike. if it goes up in RPM's and returns quickly/smoothly then its fine. try it at 2 turns out.
3. how was the bike running that you thought it needed work ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I synched the carbs according to the manual. I did exactly what it said to do. I will synch them the with the vaccum tool as soon as I can get one. I did get the bike all put back together today. It runs awsome! There is so much more acceleration now. The things I found wrong with the carbs as well as the cleaning out what little debris there was had a big effect. ;-)

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Duckfan.

I am glad things worked out for you!!!!!!All it needed was a cleaning and minor adjustment!!!! YA. Had to do the same to my Kawi's.....my 750 sat in a garage for 15 years before I bought it.

Heather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts