Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD and am having some trouble.

1. cold start with choke bike starts on first press but idles at like 4-5K freaks me out each times and I have to shut down the engine thinking im going to have some sort of engine failure.

2. choke off - bike doesnt want to stay running, if i can get it to stay running idle is very jumpy - ie - i'll be idling down the street in first and it'll like, jump forward as if i turned the throttle a tiny bit.

3. i'm looking for someone to help me rebuild the carbs - even if they don't need it - which they do i am sure.. i'd like to just rebuild them clean them and rejet them. if anyone is near Hudson Ohio and would help me for a case of beer that'd be awesome.

4. anyone know where i can get a copy of my key made?

i am pulling my hair out!

i just want to ride this bike =) then chop it up =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not a bike expert, But cleaning the carb did not seem to hard for me. I did the lemon juice trick and boiled them in it. I am an amateur to say the least.

It should take about an hour to get the carb off your bike and total pulled apart. Take everything out. Take off the floats and the diaphragms, removal jets and everything else and boil it. boil the jets as well and any other stuff that need cleaning. I just did mine today.

With all that said I am still having problem with my bike but I do not think it is the carb. But mine seem to be really jump like you describe before I clean it tonight. I did not notice it as much after cleaning it but I did not run it long enough to find out

Same model bike as yours. Best of luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts