Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Ivan's Jet kit. Followed the directions to the letter... besides syncing afterwards.

I'm still getting major hesitation around 7k+ and the bike starts to bog out. Did all the carb work with a friend of mine, and I've gone through it atleast 10 times so I know the drill. However, I've never had to sync any carbs yet, and I am unsure as to what the behavior would be if they are vastly out of sync. The bike idles ok, and pulls to about 6-7k great, but it just loses power at that point. It will sometimes get over that hump and pull to over 10k (while staggering), but its definitely not pretty.

So could this be a sync issue, or a vacuum leak? Or is it back to the drawing board to tune these carbs again?

Specs:

140 mains (not staggered)
clip on #2 position, no washers
7mm float height (or **** close, mm are so small!)
3 1/4 turns out on mixture screws
drilled main air jet holes
stock air filter

Everything seems to be in spec to Ivans recommendations

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike has under 5k miles on it, so I hope nothing is wrong in that department before I even get to the 7.5k valve check mark. I guess anything is possible, but the bike ran great before doing anything to the carbs, so I'll have to assume it's carb related.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,849 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the size of the main jets. I'm not familiar with that jet kit but I'm not a fan of "kits" as they assume all bikes are the same. With the flow increase achieved by different brands of exhaust, they are not all going to be the same and thus the jet requirements will need to be slightly different from one bike to the next. You could install a new set of plugs then do a throttle chop test and plug read to see what it's doing at 7K+. You could also just take it out and once it starts bogging at 7k start to ease on the choke and see if it gets better or worse with a little choke added. Of course if you have the funds some dyno time would be the quickest way to resolve it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.