Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP ME, i posted this in the mechanics corner but maybe you guys here in the vintage people to talk to....

Hey maybe someone has one of these or knows more about it than I do. Bike will start and run, but wont sit at idle very nicely, if I keep it revved up itll stay reved up no problems its just being really finniky, (all this after it was properly warmed up etc) It would sit at about 2,000rpm and then drop to about 1500 then 1000 and then die all within id say 5 or so seconds. Figured it was a idle jet problem....... so i took the carb all the way out to check everything

I just took the carbs off, it has dual carbs, I pulled off the bowls, checked everything looks ok, cleaned out the jets etc, nothing major or out of place, rubber cemented them back together and put it back in, put it back in checked the rubber mounts that it connects to, and got it back in there and tightened it in there good, no leaks as far as i could tell nothing. (had that problem with an old yamaha 350xt the intake rubber wasnt working right and wouldnt restart after it was warmed up)

Anyway tried playing with the idle mixture screw, and adjusting out the throttle cable etc, to no avail....... anyone got any other bright ideas? When I was driving it down the street it was kinda surging earlier and wouldnt rev up to high nicely without feeling forced...... wouldnt really go past 6 or 7 nicely.....??

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Did you make sure the low speed jet (pilot jet) passages were clean? Try blasting carb cleaner through them and then used compressed air to dry them out. Also it would be a good idea to check valve clearances if it has been awhile since they were checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No didnt check the valve clearances..... but I dont think it would be doing that... yes like i said rebuilt the carb took off the bowls played with the jets sprayed them clean through held them up to the light made sure there was absolutely nothing in either..... only thing i can think it could possibly be is one of the sides has a intake leak after the carb thats letting air in at low rpms making it hard to idle while at high rpms it makes no difference since its taking in so much air anyway.......any thoughts?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You've said you cleaned the jets but did you clean the carb passageways associated with those jets. You need to spray carb cleaner in one end and verify it comes out the other end of the passage at the throat of the carb. If it's running too lean to idle becase of an air leak etc, then it should overheat very rappidly at higher rpms.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
No didnt check the valve clearances..... but I dont think it would be doing that... yes like i said rebuilt the carb took off the bowls played with the jets sprayed them clean through held them up to the light made sure there was absolutely nothing in either..... only thing i can think it could possibly be is one of the sides has a intake leak after the carb thats letting air in at low rpms making it hard to idle while at high rpms it makes no difference since its taking in so much air anyway.......any thoughts?
Right. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts