Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the top end rebuild but can't get my 91 ZX6 to start on its own. The shop manual has sketchy details but I know the gas tank petcock has two vacuum taps on it. the main is hooked up through the filter to the carbs, but there are two more hoses hanging off the top of the carbs that the shop manual does not specify their use. If I blow into either one of them it presurizes the bowls and gas spurts through the needle valve. I can use that to start the bike but it does not seem to create vacuum through the fuel line to keep going. The manual does refer to the lines coming off the rubber booty carb holders as fuel vacuum tap line, are these four hoses supposed to connect together and to the second tap on the tank? sorry for being lengthy

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Tell you what go to www.buykawasaki.com on the main page on the left side you will see parts diagrams, put in your year and model you should be able to figure out from there or at least dtermine what hose are what, let me know! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
post rebuild

well I verified that the vacuum line off the carb holders does go to the fuel tap, the vacuum opens the fuel valve. My problem now is the carb vent line, the bike starts but the idle soars to 8 grand or so, if I let the carb vent line drop lower than the carbs it dribbles gas and the rpm drop down to eventually stall. Argg!

·
Registered
80 Posts
LEAVE YOUR FLOATS ALONE.

Sorry I know this is old but I found the solution to this problem because I had the same EXACT problem, blowing in the lines and everything.

All you need to do is connect your airbox or airfilters so the carbs can create enough vacuum to pull in fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts