Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I had the chance to ride the bike into work today, and rode it a bit over the weekend as well after changing the oil (and cleaning the screen!!!!).

I've been noticing lately, about the past 6 months, that I'm using less and less choke to get the bike to fire up. If I pull the choke out too far, it's getting too much gas and I usually get a backfire through the air intake.

So, my question is, is it time to get my carb re-built? I've never owned a bike as long as I have my Vulcan, so this is a bit new. I know some about carbs, but only enough to change main jets or minor adjustments. The bike gets run very regularly, so I don't think anything is clogged from fuel gumming, but perhaps from long-term build up or something.

Anyone got any ideas?

By the way...I'm currently running seafoam through it to see how that does.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Back fire through carbs? Check valve timing, or ignition timing. Popping through the pipes, is better than the carb. Seems if it's too far off, it should have more probs than just during starting. Did you check your plugs to see what condition they are in?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Back fire through carbs? Check valve timing, or ignition timing. Popping through the pipes, is better than the carb. Seems if it's too far off, it should have more probs than just during starting. Did you check your plugs to see what condition they are in?
Good thought with the plugs! Give them a change along with the sea foam trick your currently trying and see where it takes you.....

Matthew

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Dave
How did you make out? Hope you got it fixed...

·
Registered
293 Posts
ok, so I had the chance to ride the bike into work today, and rode it a bit over the weekend as well after changing the oil (and cleaning the screen!!!!).

I've been noticing lately, about the past 6 months, that I'm using less and less choke to get the bike to fire up. If I pull the choke out too far, it's getting too much gas and I usually get a backfire through the air intake.

So, my question is, is it time to get my carb re-built? I've never owned a bike as long as I have my Vulcan, so this is a bit new. I know some about carbs, but only enough to change main jets or minor adjustments. The bike gets run very regularly, so I don't think anything is clogged from fuel gumming, but perhaps from long-term build up or something.

Anyone got any ideas?

By the way...I'm currently running seafoam through it to see how that does.
Hello Fellow NC'er

Sorry So Long.. with reply to U're PM..

The text below is my opinion only..

As U're engine seats (wares).. the engine runs a bit easier as mileage adds up.. until a point.. then performance drops off (high mileage).. If U have less than 100 thousand miles.. I'd say U're engine is continuing to run easier (free'er)..

The lesser choke usage tells me that the engine may be ready for a slight jetting change.. BUT.. My opinion.. Less choke is better.. If the engine starts well.. Then NO choke at all.. with my opinion is better.. This is where the lesser is better thing comes in.. LOL

BUT.. If the engine runs fine after up to operating temps.. No re-jetting should be required..

What the choke's job is.. Is to add more fuel on command.. A cold engine needs a bit more fuel.. Over-choking is a common mistake.. Results of fouling spark plugs and mixing gas in U're engine oil.. thus.. Breaking down the oil's ability to lubricate..

What fouls spark plugs is.. all the fuel being dumped onto it cold.. thus shorting the electrode.. I've never tried this.. may be something for the Myth-Buster Show.. the myth is.. one can put out a fire with enuff gas.. the liquid part.. The vapors are what actually burn.. So It'd be like throwing water on the fire.. So.. What one is doing with all this fuel on the spark plug is putting out the fire.. And the engine has to have spark to run..

Another common mis-take riders do is.. Just after starting a cold engine.. with the choke on.. the first thing they do is grab the throttle and start revving the engine.. this is a major NO NO.. what one is doing by throttle application is over-riding the choke function.. the results are "WAY" more fuel than the engine wants.. Keep in mind.. A spark plug burns the fuel better when it's hot.. or at least warm.. not to mention other engine ware and tear when it's cold.. if any throttle application is a must.. then lite tip-in and hold it there.. tip-in meaning just above idle.. until the engine has warmed a bit.. but no throttle at all is better.. Let the choke do its job..

(An Example) I tell people is.. doing this start procedure would be the same as kicking U out of bed at 4:00 am and making U sprint for a mile or two.. How would U perform with this scenario?.

This gas / oil mixture result is why we should change oil regularly.. plus just regular oil break-down..

All the above in a nutshell.. Lesser choke is better.. SO.. I'd be tickled with less choke usage.. just my opinion thow..

I Hope This Helps..

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I may look at re-jetting or perhaps a carb cleaning sometime in the near future. For now, the new filter is in and I'm going to change the plugs and see how it does. I'll just live with the choke the way it is for now. heck...it's not like it's not starting or running fine.

Now for some warmer weather to RIDE! :)

thanks all!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Well, according to Cary, Seafoam will cure EVERYTHING!:biggrin:
Problem will be fixed now!!! :lol:
Cheri....place right hand on left shoulder and give yourself a BIG pat on the back. :)

I'm curious...how many miles are on the bike?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Also...check the exhaust pipes and see if the nuts are tight where they mount to the engine. If there's an air leak there that could cause some backfiring. Maybe the gaskets are shot or the nuts are lose?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts