Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, and I think I know the answer but figure I'd ask before I go for it.

my carbs are wet with fuel - on the underside. it's not pouring out, but it's just all over the underside of the carb.

I think it's the petcock, since they tend to be prone to failure.

should I rebuild the petcock?

I plan on taking off the carbs to do some cleaning, and polishing to clean them up - the old Lemon Juice trick.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It would be wise to check the see if the bowl screws are loose. They do get loose after time. On the petcock just take off your gas line and turn it on and off and if no gas comes out when off it's good. Easy check

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Sounds like a carb issue to me to.

A petcock should flow gas unless turned off.........if it is on and does not let gas thru, then its failed.
And trust me it happens.

This could be a bad needle/ seat, or bad carb gaskets etc.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I'm taking the carbs off next week, ordered a carb rebuild kit. hopefully i can get this thing running great soon. any suggestions on what i should do while the carbs are off?

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a carb issue to me to.

A petcock should flow gas unless turned off.........if it is on and does not let gas thru, then its failed.
And trust me it happens.

This could be a bad needle/ seat, or bad carb gaskets etc.

doesn't the kz440 use a carb that doesn't have an off? it's vaccuum? so it shouldn't be allowing fuel to flow to the carbs when the engine in off. When they fail, gas will just continually flow to the carbs? I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the petcock idea. The only referance I have to a petcock is one that I have in my toolbox which has an off setting.. The one on the bike says PRI(me) On and RES(erve).;

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
doesn't the kz440 use a carb that doesn't have an off? it's vaccuum? so it shouldn't be allowing fuel to flow to the carbs when the engine in off. When they fail, gas will just continually flow to the carbs? I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the petcock idea. The only referance I have to a petcock is one that I have in my toolbox which has an off setting.. The one on the bike says PRI(me) On and RES(erve).;
True if its a vaccuum style petcock, it should not flow gas unless the bikes running.
But be glad its flowing gas, not stopping the flow at all times leaving you stranded somewhere.

Pull the fuel line off and test it.....................See what happens in all 3 positions.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
true. I am checking the carbs out this weekend. Will post more pics as progress continues if anyone is interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts