Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1986 kawasaki ninja gpz600 and there is something wrong with the carbs. i ripped them all apart and gave thema a throrough cleaning. but its still acting wierd. it will only reach 5500 rpm's and if i give it gas real fast it bogs down and the the thing that holds the needls flutters really fast and it almost dies. i dunno if its the air screw or what. if you can help me i would really appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there isn't an airbox..the person who had it before me cut it out and put k&n filters on it..it ran fine awhile ago..

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
loganfeil51; it..it ran fine awhile ago..[/QUOTE said:
one ) adjust the valves
two ) see #one
three ) the pilot jets MUST be clear of all deposits and debris . don't guess at this be sure . physically check with a mark one enhanced eyeball . check the idle passage
by removing the idle mixture screws without loosing the spring , washer or o ring and blow all kinds of air and cleaner through the passage .
four ) synchronize the carbs
five ) did I already mention adjust the valves ? if there is any question at all that it has been more than 10k miles since the last adjust just do it .

~kop

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay we took the jets and everything out and cleaned them and sprayed everything with carb cleaner. we made sure no holes were plugged. we went through 8 cans of cleaner doing this. but i doubt the vavles have ben adjusted in awhile. is adjusting them hard to do.

·
Registered
522 Posts
but i doubt the vavles have ben adjusted in awhile. is adjusting them hard to do.
Not difficult m8, screw and locknut adjusters save a lot of hassle. Fiddly more than owt, if you've got a manual you'll manage easy.

Check the condition of the vacuum-diaphragms and jet-needles on the carbs too.

How many turns were the pilot-screws set at?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dunno for sure i didn't even adjust them because they seemed to be all in sync and i don't have a book so i didn't mess with that..the air needles are a 1 1/4 out do they need to be a 1 1/4 in

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You might want to remove the fuel valve from the tank and make sure the screen is clear and the valve is working properly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no we can't figure out what it is..the slides are shaking inside the carbs and it only gets to six grand still and if you give it gas real quick it almost dies and bogs down..just about to throw in the towel and sell it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts