Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the local freeway interchange yesterday (going from one freeway to another) when the pickup in front of me swerved. I then saw a car bumper lying in the middle of the road. Not just part of a bumper...the whole thing! I easily missed it on my nimble 500r, but if I wasn't paying attention, I would have hit it.
Whats the oddest items you guys have encountered on the road?

·
Registered
605 Posts
A row of cones obviously put up by the local pd to keep cars out and let motorcycles in :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I once had a sheet of aluminium fly off the back of a truck. All I could do was duck as it went over the top of my helmet by inches. That is the most frightening experience I've ever had on 2 wheels, nearly lost my head.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

a gator crossing the road on alligator alley at night running about 110mph
on a sportbike - i don't wear those riding pants anymore :lol:

and a johnny on the spot that fell off the back of a truck once :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I saw a number of wooden plates leave the back of a stakebed truck with no sides.
And old juan who was driving just kept motoring along.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
odd

not mine, but my best friend's story.

his family moved from MA to LA years ago. just as they entered the passing lane and started to go around a rig, they noticed a cinder block. too late ! they hit it going about 70 with a late eighties monte carlo. the rear of the car left the ground, and they ended up spending a night in that state !

·
Registered
16 Posts
one day i was going slow behind someone taking uo the fast lane in my old BMW.

I switched lanes to pass when i saw why he ws going slow, a very large christmas tree was in the 2nd lane.

I swerved and dodges so fast that my two friends in the back did not even break their converastion. My heart was bumping hard for a few afterwards.

Glad it was not on my bike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
was on the hiway coming up to the back of an 18 wheeler and boom he blew a back trailer tire....it came out from under the truck and flew in the air over me and landed about 15' behind me...**** that was close at 75 mph

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
More common than odd around here are Deer and Elk. Of course last month the Pheasant that flew directly into my front left floorboard took his own life after his head was removed from his body. What was left of him rolled onto the highway and was run over several times by the time I returned home from work that night.

On another ride heading home I had a hun (hungariun partridge) fly out in front of me as I was cruising at 60. It tried to fly over my right shoulder but it just couldn't make it. It hit my shoulder square and flew almost straight up into the air and landed just off the road. Another driver had a shocked look on her face as she watched it land motionless.

I think the animals are trying to tell me something. :roll:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
bud8fan said:
was on the hiway coming up to the back of an 18 wheeler and boom he blew a back trailer tire....it came out from under the truck and flew in the air over me and landed about 15' behind me...**** that was close at 75 mph
bud, was that on the bike ? ouch, too close. my wife came close to getting nailed by a tire in her Explorer, but i don't think it was THAT close. good thing it wasn't !

·
Registered
524 Posts
While driving in my car many years ago a full size sofa fell out of the back of a pick up landed on its wheels and was headed right for me.Lucky for me there was not much traffic on the freeway that day,i just changed lanes a wacthed it pass.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Chromequeen said:
What's up with the birds around ya Whistle? Got death wishes?

LOL.....I'm wondering if they "The Movie/Commercial Industry" is in my area and shooting some Geiko Insurance Commercials? :shock:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stuart said:
A row of cones obviously put up by the local pd to keep cars out and let motorcycles in :)
:grin:

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is why I never ride close behind any other vehicle. someone gets in front, I ease off the throttle and get plenty of distance between me and them. Going 50 mph, if he drops his muffler, Im gonna eat it if im too close. Let them all go around me and pass me. Id rather have them in front of me and at a distance where I could see them better. I dont trust anyone. I ride like every car is a loaded gun pointed at me. A car can go over a pothole and maybe not even hit it but if he dont, cuz its in the middle of the lane, rest assured you will, cause you wont have time to see it and react if your too close to his rear bumper. as a biker, stay away from motorists as much as possible. Keep your distance, stay in the center lane if possible, let them GO, they're better in front of you. You'll be surprised. After letting them all pass you, if you look in your mirror, you'll see that no one is behind you for a while. You can relax a little till the next clump of cars start comming up on you. those in cages have no common sense. That has all been taken care of by the automobile industry. Think of all the safety features are put into cars. You cant put it into gear until you step on the brake, you cant start it unless its in park, It lets you know to fasten your seat belt, it dings if your lights are not on at night, it locks the door for you. All of these safety features make people dumber and dumber cause they dont have to think of anything but gas pedal and brake. Everything else is done for them. Even the seat gets adjusted to where they like it when they get in the car. So now you can understand why they have the intelligence of pizza dough when they get behind the wheel. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY'RE ON ANOTHER PLANET.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Not sure if this fits this category but...in august 2000, I was involved in a 4 car head on collision type thingy, anyway, I was car 3 so not the victim of first impact but the truck who was the one getting hit, by a mini van crossing the median on I-5 was pulling a boat trailer. Anyway, since i was in the outside lane, the truck was in the inside lane, at impact, the trailer came loose, I hit the boat after it left the trailer, drove under the truck as it rolled over in the air and ended up with the boat trailer impailed into my motor. What a way to start the day, thankfully nobody died in that crash but there were a total of 1 mini van, 2 trucks (one of them was mine), a honda accord, 1 boat and 1 boat trailer that were all totaled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts