Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Braaaaaaaaap
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 93 kx 80. Everyone of my friends is telling me to use some Bel-Ray 80w case oil. But the Manual says to use SAE class 10w40 as the "transmission oil". I know the tranny oil gets used for the gears and everything, cause there is only one spot to put oil in, not 2. So, should I listen to the manual, or do what the internet / friends tell me. Thanks.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,976 Posts
Gear oil and motor oil are on different scales. According to the Bel-Ray website, their 80 wt gear oil is the equivalent of 10w-40.

The oil does indeed lubricate the transmission and clutch.

If you go the cheap route and don't buy an oil designed for motorcycles, change the oil more frequently. Fresh oil is important.

Finally, this is one rare case where both your friends AND the manual are correct at the same time. :)

·
1,976 Posts
I have used it for years without a problem. If your bike has the little sight window, just make sure to get the level in the middle of that, with the bike level (not on a kickstand or leaned over).

When it starts changing from red to gray, it is about time to change it. The metal particles in the engine are contaminating it.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I know how to change it and measure. Thanks. Just took the top end apart, sending cylinder out to be honed and re-plated with nickasil, along with a new top end, and shift shaft and other minor parts. Can't wait until spring to rip!

·
1,976 Posts
Yep, around $200, plus shipping both ways ($25-ish), so $225 if they don't need to reapair gouges. If they have to repair gouges, missing chunks, etc., it starts going up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 94 kx 125 and i am wondering what type of oil to use in the transmission to ? i have been using 10w 30 and it runs fine but i havent been able to find anything that says what it is supposed to have in it.?????

my oil/fuel ratio is 35:1 is that ok?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
i have a 94 kx 125 and i am wondering what type of oil to use in the transmission to ? i have been using 10w 30 and it runs fine but i havent been able to find anything that says what it is supposed to have in it.?????

my oil/fuel ratio is 35:1 is that ok?
Simple answer is use ATF type F in the tranny.

35 to 1 is a little rich for me, but if you like it and the bike runs fine on it, its okay.
Its a preferance but i run 40 to 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.