Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,
got caught speeding yesterday by an unmarked bmw at 88.o8 average speed they said, 3 points and £60 fine.....totally sux!!!!
does anyone know of any good devices for alerting me of speed traps?? (fixed & mobile) please help, if i get another 3 points before next august i will have to re-sit my test

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Your insurance may go up also, if you have any. There are radar detectors but in some places that will get you in trouble also. Too bad about the ticket. First time you got caught? Don't know how Messer would know about this sort of stuff, I've always looked up to his riding and law abiding ways. lol.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Your insurance may go up also, if you have any. There are radar detectors but in some places that will get you in trouble also. Too bad about the ticket. First time you got caught? Don't know how Messer would know about this sort of stuff, I've always looked up to his riding and law abiding ways. lol.
That's because I never ride faster than my angel can fly...

View attachment 32657

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Is this your first ticket? Just wondering though. If you do get 3 points for some tickets, why would you even want to worry about using a detector? Why not just slow down? I only ask because I drive for a living and got 3 tickets in 4 years and ended up having to take a 2 hour class. If I get caught again within 5 years, I could lose my licence. I actually found that I save gas and feel more relaxed driving the speed limit. I'm not dissing you in any way because I have been there but I know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. (Ok I allready am ) :)

·
Propensity for velocity
2,222 Posts
deleriousdel - unfortunately you're asking a bunch of Americans about how to deal with a speeding ticket. Here in the states the answer is easy: hire an attorney and fight it. A lot of the time the ticket never evens makes it to court b/c the attorney just takes the DA out for drinks and paperwork gets lost. Or something like that. In the UK? no clue.

Suggestion: don't do that. Or if you gotta do that - don't get caught doing that. Best place to get your speed on is the track and you guys have some nice ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Probably the easiest way to aviod tickets (besides not speeding, but what fun is that), is to know where you can or can't speed. Main roads are obviously not good, highways, at least where I'm from, are usually not a good idea. Also, the flow of traffic can really play a part.. perception is reality. Lets say you're on the highway, speed limit 60. You see a slow-moving tractor-trailer up ahead, naturally you go to pass, lets say you're doing 67.. that's not unreasonable on the highway but when the cop sees you flying by the big rig it's going to catch his eye.. on the flip side, if you're doing 70 in a 60, but everyone else is doing 65-70? Probably won't get busted.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,870 Posts
Safest, least expensive, and best for avoiding licence penalty points is to obey the law and save speeding for the race track! Violation reports to DVLC obviously are problematic for licence holders . . .

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
hey there,
got caught speeding yesterday by an unmarked bmw at 88.o8 average speed they said, 3 points and £60 fine.....totally sux!!!!
does anyone know of any good devices for alerting me of speed traps?? (fixed & mobile) please help, if i get another 3 points before next august i will have to re-sit my test
Del,
first you are on a US based forum so the good people here will not have a lot of relevant help, but will have a lot of suggestions.

You say that if you pick up another three points you will need to resit your test. Are you a new rider who has passed less than two years ago ? If so, and you only have three points left then I suggest you seriously slow down before you lose your licence.
If you are a more longer term rider and have three points left out of twelve then you should know better.
If the Police averaged you at 88MPH, then at some point you were recorded doing more than 90 MPH in a 70 limit.

For our US friends:
National speed limit in the UK
70 MPH on dual carriage way [central divider] and motorways.
60 MPH on single carriageway roads [no central divider] in open areas.
30 MPH in built up areas
20 MPH in certain residential areas and around schools.

40 and 50 MPH limits can replace the 60 limit in special circumstances such as approaches to junctions, etc.

You can have a maximum of twelve points on your licence, 13 or more is a driving/riding ban on what we call the 'totting up procedure'. So four stops at three points a time mean one more and you are banned.
More serious 'crimes' attract more points, three is the minimum for any single one.
New riders/drivers [up to two years from passing] only get six points to play with before they have to resit their test.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.