Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with cell phones and riding. I need a way so I can tell when someone is calling me because with my the noise and road jarring I cant tell when my phone is being contacted by other people. I need a way or at least a better way to check my phone on rides because I hate getting 5 missed calls from someone wanting to hang out while I am out riding. So if you have any suggestions about different ways you can check your phone it would be nice cause I hate having to pull off, take off my gloves, dig in my pocket, check my phone, put it back in my pocket, fuzz with a sticky zipper, get my gloves back and go.

I dont know if having it in an upper pocket or somewhere in my jacket where I can tell if someone is calling to be able to pull off somewhere and call them back sooner

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Talk on the phone while riding? I'd rather have my brain engaged with the ride than the conversation.

But that's just me.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
If you have the phone on Vibrate and put it in an inner shirt pocket that is fairly close fitting you should be able to feel any calls.
Or you can get small cheap devices that light up or flash when you receive a call, place one of these in your line of sight on the handle bars.

Knowing you have no missed calls is often important and allows you to relax and concentrate on your riding.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
When I'm riding, missed calls are the furthest thing from my mind.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
In my case, my GPS can connect to my phone via Bluetooth.

Of course, I have no desire to talk on my phone while riding, but even if I chose not to answer, the GPS would display that someone is calling - and who that someone is. That way, I could decide whether to pull off some place and call them back.

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
Being 'On Call' doesn't mean I can't ride either. So having something that could tell me when I'm getting a call would be great. I've just been putting my phone on vibrate and sticking it in an inner pocket. I'll have to check out the Scala unit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I clearly stated I did not intent to talk on my phone when I was riding, but it is nice to know if my parents want me to pick up something while I'm out for a cake, cause I like cake. Or if someone needs to get pulled out after a a horrible miscalculation and gets stuck after mudding.

But I can try the innershirt pocket thing...I just need and shirt with a pocket lol

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
There is also a device where you can put your phone in a case that is on your forearm.. I was looking into it because the old bike I setup my iphone on it and had it charging and used it as a GPS. The new one I haven't had time yet to figure it out but I will eventually be able to mount my iphone to it. But the device I saw goes on your arm.. its pretty basic so you could feel and see who is calling you

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/09/motorcycle-iphone-kit-can-be-forearm-or-handlebar-mounted/

this is for the iphone but I think it can be done for other devices as well.

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
btw.. this is just to view.. I wouldn't recommend texting people while riding.. soooo not safe. But kinda cool kit especially for listenin to tunes while riding if you have an ipod... but you can just get the arm band and not the headphones.. I also dont know if its legal in your state to have headphones on while on a bike.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And to let everyone know again I dont plan on talking while im driving or just sitting watching my phone for a call. I want to be able to be contacted in a way to maximize my riding by only having to stop after I am called because I do not like getting chewed out for not answering my phone or calling back when I am out riding for hours on end.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah 07ninja, but you arent 16 and still a minor <.< And I have to make exceptions for a few girls that I am friends with ;)

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
As I said in my post above, have a look for something like this,

Copy and paste the address into your browser

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIP-Cell-Phone-Sensor-Ring-Extender-w-Music-Lights-/310217870301?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a6d0bdd

There are many different types of these available, even Bluetooth Bracelets, which will alert you to calls.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Yeah 07ninja, but you arent 16 and still a minor <.< And I have to make exceptions for a few girls that I am friends with ;)

That speaks volumes right there.

Change the message on your voicemail to say you are out for a ride, and will return the call later.

Cell phones are this generations umbilical cord!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
You would need a bluetooth helmet head set. Scala Rider is a great one.
+1 great bit of kit if you want to talk while riding.

If you have the phone on Vibrate and put it in an inner shirt pocket that is fairly close fitting you should be able to feel any calls.
Or you can get small cheap devices that light up or flash when you receive a call, place one of these in your line of sight on the handle bars.

Knowing you have no missed calls is often important and allows you to relax and concentrate on your riding.
+1
i keep mine in my inner chest pocket. i can feel it vibrate when i get a call. ... doesn't mean i'll stop :biggrin: but i'll know that someone was trying to get hold of me

1 - 20 of 48 Posts