Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm fairly new to motorcycles and bought myself a 84' ZX900a for ~$1000. I have been riding it for a few months now and it is time to adjust the chain. Well I got out the trusty haynes manual got all the info I need. I went to the bike ready to do the deed, but found that I don't have and cannot find an allen wrench that will fit the chain adjustment recesses. Are their special tools required to do this or what exactly am I missing. The book doesn't make any mention of any special tool requirements. The biggest metric allen wrench I can find is a 10. Discount auto parts had a big allen wrench that was supposed to be for brakes but that was the only large allen wrench I saw . Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks! :D

dingle

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Dingle,

Welcome to the forum!!!!! and to motorcycles :D If I need some weird tool I usually try Sears....they might have the size you need.

Its sorta like my socket set with the 10 and 12 mm needing an 11!!!!

Hang in there...someone will come up and give you a suggestion. There are lots of people with mechanical experience on this forum.

Welcome post a picture of you and your bike on "show off your ride"

Heather

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks Heather! I don't have a pic of me on it yet I can't seem to sit still long enough. ;) I do however have this pic..

dingle

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Dingle,

Nice looking ride. Just thought of something else too. I don't know if it will work on your chain, but you can get a master link remover at any bike shop.

You can see my bikes in the show off bikes under Kyhick1 probably a page back by now.

Heather

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
tha dingle said:
Hi all, I'm fairly new to motorcycles and bought myself a 84' ZX900a for ~$1000. I have been riding it for a few months now and it is time to adjust the chain. Well I got out the trusty haynes manual got all the info I need. I went to the bike ready to do the deed, but found that I don't have and cannot find an allen wrench that will fit the chain adjustment recesses. Are their special tools required to do this or what exactly am I missing. The book doesn't make any mention of any special tool requirements. The biggest metric allen wrench I can find is a 10. Discount auto parts had a big allen wrench that was supposed to be for brakes but that was the only large allen wrench I saw . Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks! :D

dingle
Hopefully you have your tool kit as it came in it. Mine is in the garage, but I'll check the size later. It is big though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
8mm to loosen the axle clamp bolts and 12mm for the chain adjuster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1Adam12 said:
8mm to loosen the axle clamp bolts and 12mm for the chain adjuster.
Yea I got the 8mm that's standard. Now I just need to find a 12mm. Looks like sears carries the 12mm! sweet! Are both sides supposed to be the same size? Looking from the rear of my bike the left one seems smaller. Or I guess it could be the previous owner screwed them up?? :cry: Tool kit? I was supposed to get a tool kit? DOH!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you had a tool kit it would sitting right next to your battery. Pretty rare to find when as the bike gets older. Buy a couple of allen wrenches - one for the garage and one for the road. You can make a mini tool kit of your own that would be way better. Cheapo 3/8 or 1/4 with 6,8, 10, 12mm sockets and long extension, a pair of pliers, screwdrivers and spark plug socket to get you going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts