Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer tells me that the o-ring chain really does not need the oil type lubrication and that it would just make a horrible mess to have to deal with. He reccommends using the chain wax aerosol which acts more as an anti-corrosive than a lubricant. Is this correct advice? Also, all my riding is on paved, dry roads so what shoud be the frequency of lubrication. The owner's manual says to clean the chain prior to applying a lube if it appears to be dirty. What is "dirty"? Greasy? How can you tell if the chain should be cleaned before applying the lube?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
lube, or wax doesn't really make that much difference, except for cleaning. With was you should clean the chain off every other time you lube it up. I usually use WD-40 and a rag to clean off the old stuff and then spray on the new.

I've tried lube and wax and a gear oil in a pinch. I cannot tell much difference in way of mess (the gear oil was messy). Lube and wax seem to make about the same mess to me. I usually lube it right before I put her up for the night so it has time to soak in and not make my chain/wheel all nasty.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i use nothing but chain wax spray and have never had a problem - if you ride the bike about 10 min. and then spray the chain the warm chain allows the wax to penetrat into the links for very little sling off - be sure to spray the face of the link as well as the top of the link to get good lubrication-i usually spray my chain about every 300 miles in normal conditions-if you are getting alot of dirt buildup then more often :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts