Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on putting a new chain on my 89 600R c Ninja. The sprockets are in great shape, so I was only doing the chain for now. I talked to a parts store and they sold me a 520 type chain. I went to put on the new chain and it does not fit my stock sprocket. After looking around on here it looks like I may need a 530 type chain? Can anyone here tell me if this is right and that the 520 is the wrong chain?

Thanks

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Pretty sure you got the wrong chain.

Parts store?
Lesson learned....never trust a desk jockey to know more about your bike than you do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure you got the wrong chain.

Parts store?
Lesson learned....never trust a desk jockey to know more about your bike than you do.
Thanks. Yea, I should have taken the old chain off and along with me. Next time I am looking at a chain and sprocket change together.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Thanks. Yea, I should have taken the old chain off and along with me. Next time I am looking at a chain and sprocket change together.
One of the side benefits to taking the chain off ahead of time is when you get the chain all you have to do is slap that bad boy on and then ride. Because half your work is already done. :-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
i feel your pain i just went through the same thing my self but that was before i found out about this forum so it took me 2 hours of serching online to get the right one. i ended up geting a DID 530 gold x ring chain

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I got my new chain and installed it. The master link that came with it was the rivet type. I used the old master link on the new chain. Is it ok to use the old master link or should I look for a new one?

It has been years and years since I had anything with a chain on it. Can you tell me if there is a break in period for it or anything?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You've already got the rivet link so why not just drop by a bike shop and pay them a few bucks to rivet that link for you. If I were going to use a clip master link, I wouldn't reuse an old one. The small clips have been known to come off of new ones, so trusting an old one to hold wouldn't be high on my list of things to do. No break in period that I've ever heard of for any chain although it may require more frequent adjustment when new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts