Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should i use to keep my chain lubed?

i was told by the previous owner of the bike to make sure i keep the chain lubed. but i dont know what to use.

oh yeah, also once i get the proper lube, how do i go about applying it??

thanks in advance,
moziz

·
Registered
191 Posts
depends

It depends. ive got some pj1 black label for off road riding. its messy stuff. you should really clean your chain before you lube it up also. moose and a few other people sell chain brushes. there are also chain lube applicators that you snap around your chain and it lubes it. on my dirtbike ive always put it up on the crate then spun the tire with my hand and lubed it up. i lubed the top of the chain for two revolutions then the bottom side for two revolutions but like i said its messy. what kind of chain is it? roller or oring?

matt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SILICONE

The great thing about silicone is that dirt doesn't stick to it...clean your chain down with some diesel fuel. put it up on a crate and in neutral and just set there spinning the rear tire and keep a stiff brush of diesel going till it is clean...then use a rag and wipe it all dry even spin the tire by starting and spinning the rear wheel...it not only removes the diesel an dall of your lubricant, oil and dirt it gets it warmed up...then back to off, neutral and spray it as you rotate it both inside and outside of the chain let it set for a couple of hours then lube it again... In the old days we used to have two chains one which would be cleaned and soaked in hot parafine wax and ready to be used, and the other one on the bike...tha tway we always had one ready...

·
Registered
191 Posts
great tip man. ive also used kerosene before since its oil based but i dont do it on a regular basis(only for the really nasty ones), atleast not if i dont have an extra chain. I used to soak down my extra one then use wd40 to degrease immediately followed by a very generous helping of chain lube. as long as you follow zx2rs advice you will avoid any unnecessary wear on your chain and sprockets(assuming they are adjusted properly as well)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always use Belray, they have the best lube in my opinion. I lube the chain after every ride just to be safe.

I put the bike on the center stand, and aim the nozzle just before the rear sprocket on the bottom of the chain. I aim on the side of the chain closest to the wheel and just turn the wheel as I spray. My motorcycle tech guy taught me this, and it works great.

:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts