Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to get my forward, and aft sprocket replaced along with a chian, how often should i be spraying the chain with the lube? is it based on miles/time... it is an 02 kaw 500r... thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Are you using chain lube or chain wax? Chain Lube I believe needs to be done every 2-300 miles. Chain wax needs to be done every 4-500 miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
chain lubrication

Hi:
There is chain LUB and chain WAX. The wax dos'nt sling off the chain as fast as lub does. Buy the Kawasaki chain wax it works great. DONT OVER LUB YOUR CHAIN. You will end up getting wax or lub on your rear tire and that can be dangerous. Lub your chain the night before your ride. that gives THE WAX a chance to set up. Wipe any excess off the chain before riding. If it is a O-Ring self lubricating chain (most new chains are pre lubed from the factory and use o-rings to retain the lub in the chain) you just have to keep the o-rings moist so they dont crack or wear out. I lub every 3 to 5 hundred miles. But remember, wipe any excess wax off the chain before you ride and make sure you clean your rear tire sidewalls and radial surface regularly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Maxima chain wax is the lube I have used for many years on my quads and dirt bikes. Be sure to get the one designed for O-ring chains if that is the type you have.
Actually, any lube on O-ring chains will lube only the side plates since the rollers are permanently lubed & sealed by the O-rings. Many bike mechanics even recommend against lubing O-ring chains but I do it from force of habit I guess. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts