Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this GPz550. I'm now at a point where I need to know how to take care of it.

What's the process of cleaning and lubing the chain? I bought some recommended chain wax but I wanna do it right.

Also, my GPz doesn't have the center stand.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you don't have a center stand you will need something to prop your bike up on (lift) so that you can move the rear wheel/chain.

Apply the lubricant to the joints between the side plates, bushings, pins and rollers of the chain to provide lubricationof the internal load bearing areas.

I usually spray after I have ridden so that the chain is still warm and will absorb more etc etc.

I forgot which chain cleaner I used, but man did it work. I'll go to the garage and post later. It may have been motul????

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
any rear stand will work, I also know people who use a floor jack with a piece of wood on top. Basically clean the chain (kerosine (sp?) or diesel is really good for cleaning the chain.) WD-40 works in a pinch. Clean and lube while the chain is warm and its much easier. Use the chain wax or regular lube to keep it lubed up and you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Chain work

If you are in your garage toss a pully system over a couple of beams and hook the end to your rear grab bar and just lift it about 1/2" above the floor. Put a newspaper down to keep fluids off of the floor. Bike in neutral and just rotate as you clean and lube. let the bike down and leave the paper down till it has soaked in the lube over night...then back the bike off of the paper and fold it nicely before tossing it away...The jack works if you use a piece of wood under the swing arm or frame, just be careful the bike doesn't want to tip over!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CHAIN

Stuart, yes! Initially if you closely examine your chain if it has dirt in it them you should clean it. If you clean it with diesel fuel and a stiff brush ( an old paintbrush that you can chop all but the last 1/3 off of) you will have diesel fuel splashed everywhere but your chain will be super clean. Then you will need to find a way to fling out the diesel, getting rid of it off of your chain, like riding it or very safely sitting on the bike with the centerstand down and sitting forward to make the rear tire be off of the goound and put it in secone gear holding the front brake on and your finger very close to the safety on/off switch incase it pops off of the centerstand... Prefered a ridearound the block twice...youwill hear your chain really making noise. Then while it is warm from the ride spray it with chain lube. MY personal preference is a silicone based lube as silicone doesn't attract accumulate dirt/dust like a grease would. and it will seep into the chain better. Back in the old days some of us actually had several chains and would melt wax and leave then in a hot wax for a while before removing them and hanging them to dry. That way you always had two spares and one on the bike. Nowadays chains lubes seem to hold on better, but you have to lubricate them often or you will not only ruin the chain but worse yet the sprockets. If you had access to a place that does Dry Film Lubricant Applications I would have the new sprockets done, I don't know if they do chains because they have rubber O-rings

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at my bike this afternoon after I lubed the chain (another story).

I think the chain might be rubbing on something.

I got two pics, on the first you see the chain on the lower right and the second is zoomed in on the chain where I think it may be rubbing. Is this normal??? It might not be rubbing on second thought because that area underneath was extremely greasy maybe just in need of a thorough cleaning... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Louis said:
I was looking at my bike this afternoon after I lubed the chain (another story).

I think the chain might be rubbing on something.

I got two pics, on the first you see the chain on the lower right and the second is zoomed in on the chain where I think it may be rubbing. Is this normal??? It might not be rubbing on second thought because that area underneath was extremely greasy maybe just in need of a thorough cleaning... Any thoughts?
Thats normal, its drippings from the chain from cleaning/lubing, mine looks just like that. when I changed my chain out last I cleaned up of it and made it shiny. Now its crudded up again.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FIRST

First, clean all of that crud out of there! I know that it is difficult, but thet metal shavings are nothing but trouble...ONCE you have it clean, wipe it down and then get silicone chain lube and ride it hard for a couple of miles to heat it up then lube it and wait for it to set up before you ride it again and thetn lube it again, while it is still warm....when it cools down it willldraw the lube in and that is whgat you want.....silicone does not collect dirt grease like regular chain goop does...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts