Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons?

I have an '82 KZ750N and wondering if its possible to change over to chain drive for more aftermarket wheel options.

Am I being silly? Thanks

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
What are the pros and cons?

I have an '82 KZ750N and wondering if its possible to change over to chain drive for more aftermarket wheel options.

Am I being silly? Thanks
Changing over is not something that's easy - lots of changes - much easier to sell and buy a chain drive bike.

Shaft drive requires less maintenance and can be smoother riding
Shaft bikes produce less HP at the rear wheel
With chain bikes you can change the final drive ratios easily just by changing sprockets.
Chain bikes are less complicated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a z1000st (uk equivalent of your kz1000 shaft) and it has the adantage of being maintenance free (just requires oil changes in the diff) and obviously cheaper than the cost of sprockets and chain. However, as you say there is limited option for customising and at low speeds is actually quite jumpy, it doesn't like anything under 30mph. very torquey though and by all accounts one of the better shaft drive classic bikes, along with the gs850. conversions can be done at high cost. better off with chain drive if you want to customise it.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
I liked my spectre because the rear rim and tire were always clean

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got my first belt drive bike about 4 years ago and it's the best of all worlds. Now if only Zs and KZs were made that way...........

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'v owned both and I perfer a shaft drive. Yes you do give up some power to the rear wheel. I compensate this by owning a vulcan 1500 more power than I will ever need. The wheel is clean with little maintenance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts