Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my question back in the first page of the original California-DynoJet thread got lost because the Global Warming subject quickly took over the thread. So I'm hoping to get some opinions on my question that I'm re-asking here:

With DynoJet getting sued and losing, does anyone think that the after-market exhaust companies are next? I'm certainly no authority on motorcycle engines but from my rudimentary understanding of the exhaust system, if someone like Yoshimura were to make a "Cali" compliant after-market exhaust (emissions, noise), at-that-point, wouldn't that just be pointless unless all you're going for is looks (e.g. poser points) because performance wouldn't be increased? And the exhaust becomes even more pointless because you can't run a PCIII on it anymore, right?

And I just thought of another question: Do you think that it will reach a point where all after-market exhausts on all vehicles (like those annoying fart-cans on the rice-burners) will become a primary, ticketable offense?

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
perhaps in Cali, but here in ME (which has adopted Cali emissions, BTW), the state adopted model SEMA legislation regarding aftermarket exhausts last year.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
I really think it will depend on jurisdiction. Here in Nevada Smog Control is regulated by each County. Clark County (Vegas) and Washoe County (Reno) are the only two where any smog control is required, providing there is no visible smoke (blue oil burning smoke).

On the Federal level it is already a violation to mess with the factory pipes and smog systems of a vehicle.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
I don't think so. Every exhaust company state that full systems should be used for track only. Even some slip-on, like my muzzys, say that it's only for the track and not the street. With the slip-on the cat is still in the bike, so emissions shouldn't be the problem. As for the noise, there is no way that a slip-on/full makes more than 100db. I can't remember the legal limit here in Canada (i think it's around 90-100) but if it does make more noise then legally permitted, most of that noise is going to be coming from the engine and not the pipe...

Also how often is a cop going to ask you "let me test how loud that is"
Even so, I would say, "it's safer for me and everyone else around me so that they know I'm near, give me the ticket for being safe and I'll cya in court. Thanks officer"

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Eventually, yes, and I'd see no reason for aftermarket except perhaps wreck replacement.

Now...about global warming....

:D
Maybe jobs and a free market... there is that to. :wink:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The aftermarket IS affected by these things, though. CA is a huge market, and it hurts to lose that. In Denver, you can't have an aftermarket exhaust...in theory. SEMA works at leveling the playing field. In our area, I don't know what the deal is on aftermarket pipes, etc., but if you do it on your car, you will fail the visual emissions test, no matter what's coming out of your pipe.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Stamped on almost EVERY after market exhaust are the words, "For off road purposes ONLY". Very few are legal, regardless of what state you live in.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Harley Davidson has dropped their Screamin Eagle line of after market exhausts due to this very reason.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Okay, my question back in the first page of the original California-DynoJet thread got lost because the Global Warming subject quickly took over the thread. So I'm hoping to get some opinions on my question that I'm re-asking here:

With DynoJet getting sued and losing, does anyone think that the after-market exhaust companies are next? I'm certainly no authority on motorcycle engines but from my rudimentary understanding of the exhaust system, if someone like Yoshimura were to make a "Cali" compliant after-market exhaust (emissions, noise), at-that-point, wouldn't that just be pointless unless all you're going for is looks (e.g. poser points) because performance wouldn't be increased? And the exhaust becomes even more pointless because you can't run a PCIII on it anymore, right?

And I just thought of another question: Do you think that it will reach a point where all after-market exhausts on all vehicles (like those annoying fart-cans on the rice-burners) will become a primary, ticketable offense?
They can build a freer flowing exhaust but still keep it within sound limits etc. The aftermarket guys are going to have to spend some money on R&D but some have already started. Engineers love this stuff, give em a problem and lock em in a room and don't let em out till they've figured it out. Been happening as long as man has been building stuff and will continue to happen.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Dynojet is working on a CA-compliant version of the PC-III.

EPA/CARB approved headers have been available for cages for years, as have free(er) flowing legal cat replacements.
Cat-back has always been unregulated OTHER than noise.

As far as noise, California standard is:
Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 ft from center lane of travel:1)Pre-1970..92dba; 2) After 1969, and before 1973...88dba; 3) After 1972, and before 1975...86dba; 4) After 1974, and before 1986...83dba; 5) After 1985...80dba (27201-27202. Motorcycle Limits).

The stock pipes on my 1600 are tagged as being 80dba, so no louder than stock would be legal.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
Harley Davidson has dropped their Screamin Eagle line of after market exhausts due to this very reason.
I thought all Harleys were "dropped" at the factory...:biggrin:

Stamped on almost EVERY after market exhaust are the words, "For off road purposes ONLY".
"For off road purposes ONLY" on a street bike pipe. Hmmm...I'd think twice before purchasing a product the manfacturer had no idea what it is intended for.

Just giving y'all trash & trying to lighten the thread load...

:cool:

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
It's cool. I wonder how many people went out and looked at their pipe to see if it was stamped on there? LOL

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Big Brother mentality: ie California will keep expanding as long as voters remain uninformed.

Sheople want to be cared for.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
hardkrome already make a quiet performance exhaust

I do agree with a noise limit, but I bought my cobras because I enjoy the better sound, not for performance or any of that crap, I like the sound.

and no, I dont believe loud pipes save lives, experience, training, and better judgement do that

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
and no, I dont believe loud pipes save lives, experience, training, and better judgement do that
My pipes aren't THAT loud, and I rarely have people try to change lanes into me.
The 3 months I had the stock pipes on last summer, it was a daily occurrence.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
I like your pipes, but to me, its kinda like when you were talking about car pool lanes, many people get a false sense of security driving in it, at least until somemoron crosses the double yellow.

many guys rely on their pipes.............thats what worries me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts